Custom List, Converted to XSLT then saved, Can No Longer Export from SharePoint into Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Using SharePoint Designer 2007. I am trying to customize the widths, cell layouts and apply conditional formatting to long lists in SharePoint.

ISSUE: Attempting to customize a List then Export the data to Excel fails - Excel opens but all that comes out are the two default columns, Item Type and Path.

1. Open a SharePoint List in SharePoint Designer 7
    2. Convert that list to XSLT
    3. Make the desired changes to the columns and apply formatting.
    4. Save the changes and close (or not) SharePoint Designer 7 
    5. Return to SharePoint and go to the list you just customized in the steps above.
    6. Click on Actions>Export to Excel.
    7. Either Open or Save, and the only data you get out are two columns, Item Type and Path.

Ive tried many ways to try to resolve this issue. The least amount of steps to reproduce the issue is to just open a list in Designer. Convert to XSLT and Save. That's where the "break" occurs. I've run Windiffs on them  but they're too extensive to decipher, at least for me. Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated. I have a very inelegant and cumbersome, time-consuming workaround for this but I would really like to be able to:

DESIRE: Modify a list in SharePoint Designer, go into SharePoint, then be able to Export that modified list's data into Excel.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:36 AM There is no SharePoint Designer 7. Removed from Title (which was far too long and has been cut down) and replaced with SPD 2007 in text. Try to get the product names right in future.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Bertram,

You can create a data view web part instead of custom the List web part.

SharePoint list toolbar could also be added to the data view web part.

Please try it follow this reference.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/add-a-sharepoint-list-toolbar-to-a-data-view-HA010244828.aspx

Note:

1 After enable list toolbar for the data view, please do not insert data view web part into a Web Part Zone. Otherwise you will not be able to open that page in browse and “An unexpected error has occurred” error would be prompt.

2 After open the data view page in browse, please remember to create a new view for the data view before using Export to Spreadsheet option.

Let me know if there are any other questions, thanks.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:36 AM

All replies

• I'd recommend not to customize anything that is created for you by default (i.e. a list, or list forms). If you need customization, put that list in a web part page. Open that page in Designer and then go through your customization. When you have things working the way you want, you can export that web part and import it into another location as you need.

Same thing applies for customizing forms. If you need to customize your newForm, or editForm or dispForm for any lists, make a copy of that existing page and then test out customization in there.

Going back to your issue, why do you need to customize the list in the first place? Once you export the data from the list to excel, you can take advantage of built-in functions available from Excel to do whatever you need (i.e. conditional formatting, filtering, etc.)

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Hi Bertram,

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/add-a-sharepoint-list-toolbar-to-a-data-view-HA010244828.aspx

Note:

1 After enable list toolbar for the data view, please do not insert data view web part into a Web Part Zone. Otherwise you will not be able to open that page in browse and “An unexpected error has occurred” error would be prompt.

2 After open the data view page in browse, please remember to create a new view for the data view before using Export to Spreadsheet option.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Pman - thank you so much for your time and effort. I will try your recommendation.

The reason I want to export into Excel FROM Sharepoint is so that multiple other members on my team will be able to build their own views, based on my customized view, and export into Excel from there. Also, my manager wants to be able to export from Sharepoint directly. It's one of those things where users have an option to use (Actions>Export to Excel) and it doesn't function as expected.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Hi Bertram,

Note:

Best regards. Emir
    Thank you, Emir. I will take a look at this solution. It's so good to know that posting questions gets responses so quickly!
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:43 PM