Project type is not supported by this installation

Question

• I have been struggling with this the entire day.  I just installed for the first time:

• WinFX
    • Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for Windows Workflow Foundation Beta 2_2
    • Windows Workflow Foundation Runtime Components Beta 2_2(EN) for x86
    • WorkflowTemplates - 2006-03-07

If I try to create any WWF project based on the new templates, I receive an error stating that "the project type is not supported by this installation".  I have uninstalled everything and installed the Beta 2 version (instead of the Beta 2.2) and I get the same error.  I then uninstalled everything again and reinstalled the Beta 2.2 version hoping that it would have worked, but no luck. 

Has anybody had this problem?  Any help will be appreciated.

P.S.  My machine has both versions of VS 2003 and VS 2005 Pro editions. 

Thanks

Monday, June 5, 2006 8:51 PM

Answers

• Check the version number on of the following assemblies in GAC:

System.Workflow.ComponentModel.dll

System.Workflow.Activities.dll

System.Workflow.Runtime.dll

Microsoft.Workflow.VSDesigner.dll

They all need to match.  If you don’t have the VSDesigner dll then you don’t have the VS Extensions installed, which would give you the error you are getting, and if the first three are missing you don’t have the runtime components installed.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:21 AM
  • The link you gave is for WF Beta 2 which is a fairly old version.  Unless you have a specific need for that version like you are using a Beta version of Office 2007 that uses that version you should probably be installing the latest which is RC4.  Below are links for installing everything needed:

• .NET Framework 3.0 July CTP from here.
    • VS Extensions for WF RC4 from here.
    • Windows SDK for July CTP from here.
    Friday, July 28, 2006 6:06 AM

All replies

• Check the version number on of the following assemblies in GAC:

System.Workflow.ComponentModel.dll

System.Workflow.Activities.dll

System.Workflow.Runtime.dll

Microsoft.Workflow.VSDesigner.dll

They all need to match.  If you don’t have the VSDesigner dll then you don’t have the VS Extensions installed, which would give you the error you are getting, and if the first three are missing you don’t have the runtime components installed.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 2:21 AM
  • Thank you for pointing me to the right direction.  The problem was that I had downloaded the VS Extensions in the same folder where I had previously downloaded the Consolas fonts.  Apparently, if you run the VS Extensions install program and you have the Consolas fonts install program in the same folder, the VS Extension setup program just gives you the impression of running, while it is actually running the setup for the Consolas fonts.  I moved the VS Extensions setup to its own folder and everything installed fine instead.

Thank you for your help

Thursday, June 8, 2006 2:20 PM
  • Wow!  I had the exact same problem.  What made you think of that solution?
    Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:28 PM
  • You should install Visual Studio® 2005 Extensions for Windows® Workflow Foundation. This problem will be solved.
    Friday, July 28, 2006 5:07 AM
  • The link you gave is for WF Beta 2 which is a fairly old version.  Unless you have a specific need for that version like you are using a Beta version of Office 2007 that uses that version you should probably be installing the latest which is RC4.  Below are links for installing everything needed:

• .NET Framework 3.0 July CTP from here.
    • VS Extensions for WF RC4 from here.
    • Windows SDK for July CTP from here.
    Friday, July 28, 2006 6:06 AM
  • Thank you for fixing.I intend to go back to fix my link.The link for reference Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for Windows Workflow Foundation Beta 2_2(EN)
    Friday, July 28, 2006 10:45 AM
  • In case anybody else hits this... it is still a problem with the release version. I had downloaded it into the same directory as the .Net Framework 3.0 SDK installer. Every time I ran the workflow extensions installer, it appeared to unpack OK, but then proceeded to give me the SDK installer wizard! Put it in its own directory and it installs correctly!
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:27 PM
  • I downloaded Visual Studio 2005 extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (Windows Workflow Foundation) into the same directory in which I had previously downloaded Windows SDK setup file which is an executable.

Trying to install the extensions resulted in launching the Windows SDK setup instead and
    Trying to open a workflow sample solution gave me the reported error. (Project type is not supported by this installation)

The fix that I found here solves both problems :

Save your Visual Studio extensions executable archive into a "clean" new folder and start your installation from there.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 6:52 PM
  • Thank you for the idea. In my case it was interfering with Windows SDK setup. Moving the VS Extension (Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for Windows Workflow Foundation (EN).exe) setup into a different folder, fixed the problem.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 7:48 PM
  • Wow, very stupid problem!!! I lost 2 hours to solve this case!

Thank you very much  

Saturday, November 25, 2006 9:06 AM
  • I had the beta extensions installed and had that issue, I upgraded to the 11/2006 release of the extensions and it solved my problem!
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 5:35 PM
  • Dont feel to bad I did the exact same thing today and wasted almost the same amount of time...
    Friday, January 19, 2007 3:02 AM
  • Had the same issue ...

Try installing the following from the links given below. Worked fer me ...

2. Download and Install WAP add-on (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx).

Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:53 AM
  • CyperDios, thank you so much!!!!  That was the trick for me.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 9:59 PM
  • Thanks a ton for the idea.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 1:34 AM
  • Wow! Thank you! I moved the file in an other folder and it works!  

I lost 3 hours on this problem...

Thanks a lot,

-F

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:41 PM
  • To me, I tried whatever suggestions in google. None of them works. I tried to convert a VS 2005 sharepoint project (Reservations from codeplex) to VS 2008 but not successful.
    Finally, I created a dummy project. (if the source project for conversion is class library project, then create a new dummy project with the same prject type.)
    1. Open the dummy project .csproj file with notepad.
    2. find a line starting <project type guids....
    <ProjectTypeGuids>{593B0543-81F6-4436-BA1E-4747859CAAE2};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

3. copy the line mentioned in step 2 and replace the same item in the project .csproj file to be converted.
    4. YOu won't have any issues...because now VS2005 or 2008 or 2020 know what that project type guids are.

good luck

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:26 AM