remove TDE RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

after disable TDE on my database and drop certificate and DMK , is it must to restart my SQL instance to create new tempdb files? ..

Thanks

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When you enable TDE on a database, tempdb is also encrypted. If you are not using it anymore and no other databases are using TDE, your only options is to restart the instance to regenerate tempdb. 

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

My Blog | Hire Me

• Proposed as answer by amber zhang Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:47 PM

All replies

• Yes, If there are not any other databases in the instance with TDE enabled, this action will regenerate the TEMPDB database in an unencrypted format.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:10 PM
  • but i have many other databases and restart will impact theri availability ...

so it's must to restart the instance ??

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

When you enable TDE on a database, tempdb is also encrypted. If you are not using it anymore and no other databases are using TDE, your only options is to restart the instance to regenerate tempdb. 

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

My Blog | Hire Me

• Proposed as answer by amber zhang Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:47 PM