none
After VS2010, SP1, VB6 launches VS2010 installer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    After installation of VS2010 SP1, every time I open VB6 the VS2010 installer is launched.
    I can cancel the installer and the VB6 project group then opens, but the installer tries to launch each time I try to run VB6. 
    This problem did not exist prior to install of SP1.
    I checked the file associations in explorer to make sure the the .vbg and .vbp extensions were associated with the VB6.exe file, but this did not help.
    I have XP...

Thanks.
    Ralph

Ralph
    Monday, June 6, 2011 7:39 PM

Answers

• Thank you, Andrew.

VB 2010 Development Environment opens cleanly -- no issues.

I started to let the Windows Installer run... After it ran for a while, I wanted me to put the a VS 2010 disk in.  At that point I decided it is likely best to let sleeping dogs lie.  I am make very good progress on my VB2010 WPF application. VB6 does run ok after I hit cancel, and I am using it very little as I transition my app to VB2010.  Eventually, I will get a new computer with Windows 7, install VS2010 to it, and leave VB6 on the old one.

I just do not want to risk somehow messing up the existing VB 2010 IDE.....

I would be happy to mark this thread as answered.   If that is what you would prefer, just let me know, or indicate the thread is closed yourself.... whatever is best.

Thanks again,

Ralph
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your post.

There are several things I would like to clarify with you:

• You said "VS2010 installer is launched", does this mean the Visual Studio 2010 will start instead of VB6, and the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard will appear?
    • Would you please try right-click the VB6 project >> Open with >> choose Visual Basic 6. Can the project launched correctly with VB6?

If you could open VB6 project via Open with >> VB6, then this issue should be related with the file associations. You can refer to this article: How to change or select which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP for methods to reset file associations.

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Thanks for the good reply, Andrew. Below are answers to your questions.

• You said "VS2010 installer is launched", does this mean the Visual Studio 2010 will start instead of VB6, and the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard will appear? --> A window opens that says Windows Installer, preparing to install..., then it closes and another window opens that says in its header: Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU, and in its body: Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU ...  After I cancel this, VB6 opens as expected.
    • Would you please try right-click the VB6 project >> Open with >> choose Visual Basic 6. Can the project launched correctly with VB6? -->  I tried this, with the result as above. I also navigated to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB6 and clicked on VB6.exe with the result as above.

Ralph

Ralph
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Hi Ralph,

Thanks for posting back.

According to your description, it seems like the Visual Studio 2010 is doing some configuration work.

How about open Visual Studio 2010 IDE alone? Can it launch correctly without the preparation window?

Also, would you please try not cancling the Windows Installer and see what will happens? Can the window dispappear automatically? 

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,  

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi Ralph,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Thank you, Andrew.

VB 2010 Development Environment opens cleanly -- no issues.

I started to let the Windows Installer run... After it ran for a while, I wanted me to put the a VS 2010 disk in.  At that point I decided it is likely best to let sleeping dogs lie.  I am make very good progress on my VB2010 WPF application. VB6 does run ok after I hit cancel, and I am using it very little as I transition my app to VB2010.  Eventually, I will get a new computer with Windows 7, install VS2010 to it, and leave VB6 on the old one.

I just do not want to risk somehow messing up the existing VB 2010 IDE.....

I would be happy to mark this thread as answered.   If that is what you would prefer, just let me know, or indicate the thread is closed yourself.... whatever is best.

Thanks again,

Ralph
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi Ralph,

Appreciate your update and response. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a great day.

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the same problem and don't see where an answer was provided here. To summarize,

1. Launching VS2010 - works perfectly without the installation wizard showing up

2. Launch VB6 - VB6 opens and then while the VB6 splash screen is still showing I get the following series of boxes:

If I click cancel on the first box then VB6 launches fine. It does this each time you start VB6, even if starting with run as administrator or double-clicking on a .vbp

Very annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Rut

Mike Rutledge
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem too. Anyhelp in getting it resolved would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, October 7, 2011 8:40 AM
  • I also am experiencing the same problem, which clearly was not solved in this thread.

I also tried the MS "troubleshooter", which - true to form - did not fix this problem (it has never fixed any problem for me; i don't know why I keep trying it).

Cheers,

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hi everybody,

after taking the time (about 5 Minutes) and the VS2010 installation DVD, I let the installation process finish and can run my VB6 projects without any issues again.

In addition, I checked the directory "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE" because I read several workarounds, that you should create the directory

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\common7\IDE\FromGAC".

My installation created folders "ProjectTemplatesCache" and "ItemTemplatesCache" as well, but they're not empty, so you won't be able to just create them manually.

Also, I'd like to reference gwmatt (http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/221047-visual-studio-2010-sp1-causes-issue-with-vb6/), who tracked down, which component of VB6 causes the setup to start. As a workaround, you shall uncheck the "Visual Component Manager 6.0" add-in; didn't tried that on my own, though.

Hope, this helps,

S:o)nke

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Just want to confirm that Unchecking Visual Component Manager 6.0 in the VB6 Add-ins/Add-in Manager fixed this problem for me. Thanks 

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:48 PM
  • I too had this issue.  And unloading the Visual Component Manager worked for me as well.  I was also able to re-check that Add-In and VB6 still fired up fine.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:16 PM
  • In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread, you can disable the Visual Component Manager Add-In for VB6 in the registry.  In my case, I couldn't cancel the VS2010 install and get in to VB6 to disable the add in.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0\Addins\VcmMgr.Connect

Set LoadBehavior = 0

-Dan

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Thanks Dan

My problem was very similar. I had installed Visual studio 2008. Disabling this key was the answer.

Don

Sunday, May 12, 2019 2:28 PM