Using vs2015: As an administrator of a site I want to be able to create users/ give them passwords/ and assign them roles RRS feed

• Question

• User-1360958501 posted

I can't find anything straightforward that will  allow me to define Roles then as I create users to assign a role.

I've tried to update all my sites to vs2015 but the lack of Web Admin Tool is driving me back to my comfort-zone of vs2008.

I can't understand (at least know how to implement) anything I've seen regarding AspIdentity.  The login templates are all straight forward but lack the one thing I need .... a role descriptor box.  Is there any simple examples out there.  Life's too short to face this frustration for days and days.

Saturday, October 31, 2015 8:06 PM

Answers

• User1779161005 posted

Well, for questions about the behavior of ASP.NET Identity you should reach out to Microsoft (either via their issue tracker or another post on this forum).

As for IdentityManager, it's meant for devs and admins as a quick and dirty admin app if you don't have time or need to create a custom user admin UI. It's katana hosted, so you'd need to learn about that as well (the world is changing from the VS2008 era).

IdentityManager is listed here (the thinktecture moniker was removed): https://www.nuget.org/packages/IdentityManager

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:59 AM

All replies

• User-1360958501 posted

Thanks for getting back.  
    I think I've read all your stuff and (it may well be me) but I understand some of it but don't know how to physically deploy any of it.

I'm assuming that in my site I can use the schemas that automatically gets created; viz, DefaultConnection and its tables.
    All the templates of projects and web sites happily show me [AspNetUsers] getting populated upon registration.  For a fairly average programmer I'm not sure where this happens but I'm happy that it does.  What I would hope for is that I could extend that registration process a bit and include a ROLE at the same time so that [AspNetRoles] get populated.  Then I should be able to set restrictions/access via web.configs just as before.

I'm sorry for carrying on about this but I'm incredibly frustrated.  Thanks.

Incidently I couldn't find reference to your ThinkTecture.IdentityManager using the NuGet Package Manager in vs2015.  Is it something that I should be able to reference and have appropriate tools appear in the Toolbox (sometimes I get so frustrated I may miss the most obvious)?

Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:44 AM
  • User1779161005 posted

Well, for questions about the behavior of ASP.NET Identity you should reach out to Microsoft (either via their issue tracker or another post on this forum).

As for IdentityManager, it's meant for devs and admins as a quick and dirty admin app if you don't have time or need to create a custom user admin UI. It's katana hosted, so you'd need to learn about that as well (the world is changing from the VS2008 era).

IdentityManager is listed here (the thinktecture moniker was removed): https://www.nuget.org/packages/IdentityManager

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:59 AM