All change is good and successful in the marketplace

All replies

• In fact, the same fate has been predicted for Windows 8:

Windows 8: A bad bet

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/windows-8-a-bad-bet/61455

We're not the only ones who think that Windows 8 will be a problem. Many other users have voiced the same complaints that we have. On desktops, Metro is out of place and awkward, and on tablets, the Desktop is out of place and awkward. Frankly, I see no benefits to this "one size fits all" approach, because one size does not fit all and probably never will. The iPad is proof of that. Will Metro on the desktop and the Desktop on tablets join the list of Microsoft flops and failures?

Probably.

Friday, October 28, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Great trip down memory lane with some of those failed technologies, I'd argue some of them didn't really fail they just had their time and were replaced by something better. Others on the list some should never have got out of the labs though.

Fond memories of OS/2 it was a great OS for hosting Lotus Notes server, but I've nothing but scorn for WebTV we wasted about three months on that POS :(

I still have high hopes for Win8 but I too see problems with adoption i think this video sums my concerns up pretty well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zck5Bd0VCfQ&feature=related

I don't agree with everything in there but overall i think its a pretty balanced evaluation

I'm off to buy a Windows Phone 7 device, there's something with an assured future ;)

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 12:43 PM
  • @postPCera

That's a very interesting link. I disagree with the idea that "this is for consumers," though. As far as I can tell, it's primarily for mobile (A.K.A. tablets and phones). It doesn't work well on a desktop, and no matter whether someone is a home user or a business user, I can't see someone wanting this on a computer without a touchscreen.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:42 PM
  • @WindowsVista567

If MS take heed of some of the constructive criticism/feedback on here before the beta then it could be a fine consumer OS and probably a good workplace one too, if they don't... well it'll end up a niche tablet OS and will probably wither :(

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:30 PM