none
Bold is not cancelling out RRS feed

• Question

• Please take a look at the file Bug_20987.docx. In the document it has (showing just the key parts):

<w:pPr>
    				<w:numPr>
    					<w:ilvl w:val="1"/>
    					<w:numId w:val="1"/>
    				</w:numPr>
    				<w:rPr>
    					<w:b/>
    				</w:rPr>
    			</w:pPr>

And in numbering.xml it has:

<w:lvl w:ilvl="1">
    		</w:lvl>

As bold is a toggle, that should turn it on, then back off. What's also weird is if I remove it from either one, it remains bold (as expected). And if I remove it from both it is not bold (also as expected).

So somehow instead of toggling it is being treated as an "on". Or it's some permutation of a toggle only being handled once per level, but these are two clearly distinct levels.

??? - thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Friday, August 19, 2016 3:07 PM

Answers

• We discussed the issue offline with Dave and came up with following conclusion.

As per behavior described in section 17.7.3 of ISO; we will land in following rule.

17.7.3 Toggle Properties

If the property is a toggle property, then its values, which are limited to true and false (or the equivalent values 1 and 0) shall be combined as follows:

Now; as per following deviation in MS-OI29500; the final value applied to numbering will be from numbering.xml if it’s specified. If it’s not specified, then paragraph style will be picked. In your scenario; any value in numbering.xml will be the final value if specified; if not; value in paragraph style will be picked. If we go with this analysis, then I think all the pieces will TIE well.

2.1.227 Part 1 Section 17.7.2, Style Hierarchy a. The standard states that numbering styles are applied before paragraph styles in the stylehierarchy.

Word applies paragraph styles before numbering styles in the style hierarchy.

Applying all these rules to this very scenario; we concluded that; If true then <w:b val=”0”/> for numbering.xml would force it off. And it does! In addition, val=”0” in document.xml has no impact. So it looks like the numbering.xml setting for a toggle is like the runProps one in a run – it ignores all previous toggle settings.

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the question about the bold element. One of the Open Specifications team will respond to begin working with you soon.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, August 19, 2016 4:57 PM
  • Hello Dave:

I'm researching this for you and will get back as soon as I've an update.

Thanks

Friday, August 19, 2016 5:21 PM
  • Hello Dave:

I believe you are referring to numbered text '1.' and bold toggle property applied to it through 'abstratNumID' = 11.

If this understanding is correct; then based on my research, adding or removing <w:b/> element from document.xml has no impact on numbering boldness. As a result, your this statement ( ".... What's also weird is if I remove it from either one, it remains bold (as expected) ...." ) is only partially correct as removing bold toggle property from document.xml has no impact on numbering.

<w:pPr>
                    <w:pStyle w:val="ListParagraph"/>
                    <w:numPr>
                        <w:ilvl w:val="1"/>
                        <w:numId w:val="1"/>
                    </w:numPr>
                    <w:ind w:left="360"/>
                    <w:contextualSpacing w:val="0"/>
                        <w:rFonts w:ascii="Arial" w:hAnsi="Arial" w:cs="Arial"/>
                        <w:i/>
                        <w:color w:val="00457C" w:themeColor="accent1"/>
                        <w:spacing w:val="2"/>
                        <w:kern w:val="2"/>
                </w:pPr>

Kindly confirm if I've scoped the issue correctly or missed anything.

Thanks

Friday, August 19, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Hi Tarun;

What I'm finding is I can remove it from document.xml or number.xml with no change. If it is in only either one, it is still bold. If you remove it from both, then it is not bold.

So just document.xml - bold.

Just numbering.xml - bold.

Both - bold.

Neither - not bold.

What happens for you if you remove it from just numbering.xml?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Friday, August 19, 2016 9:28 PM
  • We discussed the issue offline with Dave and came up with following conclusion.

As per behavior described in section 17.7.3 of ISO; we will land in following rule.

17.7.3 Toggle Properties

If the property is a toggle property, then its values, which are limited to true and false (or the equivalent values 1 and 0) shall be combined as follows:

Now; as per following deviation in MS-OI29500; the final value applied to numbering will be from numbering.xml if it’s specified. If it’s not specified, then paragraph style will be picked. In your scenario; any value in numbering.xml will be the final value if specified; if not; value in paragraph style will be picked. If we go with this analysis, then I think all the pieces will TIE well.

2.1.227 Part 1 Section 17.7.2, Style Hierarchy a. The standard states that numbering styles are applied before paragraph styles in the stylehierarchy.

Word applies paragraph styles before numbering styles in the style hierarchy.

Applying all these rules to this very scenario; we concluded that; If true then <w:b val=”0”/> for numbering.xml would force it off. And it does! In addition, val=”0” in document.xml has no impact. So it looks like the numbering.xml setting for a toggle is like the runProps one in a run – it ignores all previous toggle settings.

Thanks

Monday, August 22, 2016 1:12 PM