fatal error C1107: could not find assembly 'Windows.winmd'

Question

• Recompiling an app that compiled very well under CP VS Ultimate gives now this error:

stdafx.cpp
    c:\dev\projects\metro-driver\apprunner\stdafx.cpp : fatal error C1107: could not find assembly 'Windows.winmd': please specify the assembly search path using /AI or by setting the LIBPATH environment variable

Never had to set this path manually. Could it be an incompatibility between former VS project file and the new one? There was no upgrade offered. The project file in question: http://pastebin.com/MrFhaYfY

The app is not even a metro app but a runner, that starts Metro apps. So why is the winmd file even needed?

Monday, June 25, 2012 12:35 PM

Answers

• Your console app project has the /ZW switch "Consume Windows Runtime Extension=Yes" enabled which is triggering the message. Set it to No to avoid the dependency.

David Lamb

• Marked as answer by phil_ke Monday, June 25, 2012 10:13 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:08 PM

All replies

• Your console app project has the /ZW switch "Consume Windows Runtime Extension=Yes" enabled which is triggering the message. Set it to No to avoid the dependency.

David Lamb

• Marked as answer by phil_ke Monday, June 25, 2012 10:13 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Thank you David, must have missed that. Forrest...trees... :)
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:13 PM
  • No worries. I'd like to say that never happens to me, but... I seem to recall that happening once ;-)

David Lamb

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:56 PM