"The Web server does not appear to have FrontPage Server Extensions installed." RRS feed

• Question

• User-1851576699 posted

I am trying to publish my website to the Local IIS on my own computer. It's a local publish so I am not sure what the problem is. That is to say, I am simply publishing/moving the files from the Users/Documents/.... directory to INETPUB/WWWROOT using Microsofts Visual Studio 2012. 

I am selecting Build->Publish Selection.

Under "connection" I have tried "File System" and "Web Deploy".

"Web Deploy" is a bit more complicated since I do not know what a "Service URL" is. I have a properly registered domain name which is accessible via the internet from any computer(in the world I imagine) for the most part. So, using "Web Deploy" to publish my website on the same machine it's being created/developed on is probably overkill I am guessing. But I thought I would try it none the less since trying the "File System" way didn't work. Again, it's the error message "The Web server does not appear to have FrontPage Server Extensions installed."

Are "FrontPage Server Extensions" still something that is even being used in Visual Studio 2012?

**EDIT** Okay, so I have done some preliminary research on this problem. Somebody tell me if I have this figured out right or not. Microsoft releases Visual Studio 2012 knowing that it requires a deprecated technology to be able to publish websites to the local IIS server using the HTTP protocol, but they didn't include that deprecated technology in Visual Studio 2012 because it's deprecated?

I searched "Extensions and Updates" online and entered keywords, "front page", and "frontpage" and nothing exists. Is this situation 10x worse than it should be from a company who produces most of the worlds best software? What is happening at Microsoft? It's going to hell in a handbasket lately.

I didn't have this problem with publishing using Visual Studio 2010. I was smart enough not to touch Windows 8 with a 10-ft pole. 2013 - The year Microsoft died. Oh wait, Windows 8 came out last year didnt it?

Monday, April 8, 2013 12:50 AM

All replies

• User1428336426 posted

Go to Controlpanel -> Add or Remove Programs ->Add or Remove Windows Conponent ->

Single Click on IIS and there below click on details button

then you will find Frontpage 2000 extension. Click there, it will ask for windows CD. So keep it handy with you.

And then once it is completed..you wont get any such error...

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:59 AM
  • User-1851576699 posted

AAAAANNNNNNTTTTTT!!!! Error Will Robinson.

There is no such feature to be added on my Windows 7 Ultimate operating system. Which operating system were you giving instructions for?

I am guessing your using something "other than" Windows 7 because it's now:

Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off. IIS is listed at this destination but there is no such sub menu selection which offers to install Frontpage Extensions.

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:23 PM
  • User1428336426 posted

Was instructing for windows xp..

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:13 AM
  • User-1851576699 posted

Hi,

Thanks very much for the link. Even if I choose not to install the FPSE(which I am leaning towards) I know the "state of things" pertaining to this extension. It appears to be no longer supported by Microsoft but a separate company called "Ready to Run" software. It's still free which is good. But, again, I believe I read somewhere that the FPSE software has been deprecated, probably in favor of Web Deploy 3.0.

Your posted link lead me to this link:

http://www.iis.net/downloads/community/2011/07/rtr-frontpage-server-extensions-for-iis-75-on-windows-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7

Which is the one for anybody running Windows 7 and IIS 7.5, which I am.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:04 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi TheNutCracker

"Web Deploy" is a bit more complicated since I do not know what a "Service URL" is.

If you deploy your application on local machine, the service URL is http://localhost/;

If you want to deploy your application to remote web server, service URL is the remote server IP address,.

hope it helps you,

With regards

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:42 AM