locked
Workaround for subreport within subreport RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have several reports - entirely SQL driven, and subreports within subreports, obviously I didn't realise until the last minute that it disregards subreports within sub-reports.

    Is there a workaround for this? Or am I stuffed?

    Thanks
    Kev
    Monday, August 21, 2006 10:39 AM

Answers

  • Hi

    Thanks the advice, in the end I've just moved these sub-subreports into the parent report instead, I've got it working fine now.

    Thanks

    Kev

    Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:18 AM

All replies

  • Hi Kev, I'm not sure what you mean by "it"..are you using SQL Server tables/stored procedures as your data source? Are you setting the datasource programatically..if so are you using C#, VB etc? What version of Crystal are you using?  And last but not least, what type of report is it..are the subreports linked or unlinked?  If they are linked and you are using SQL server as your database you can probably create a stored procedure that would replace the sub reports.  Anyway, the more info you can supply the easier it is to help.. 
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:20 PM
  •  melody45 wrote:
    Hi Kev, I'm not sure what you mean by "it"..are you using SQL Server tables/stored procedures as your data source? Are you setting the datasource programatically..if so are you using C#, VB etc? What version of Crystal are you using? And last but not least, what type of report is it..are the subreports linked or unlinked? If they are linked and you are using SQL server as your database you can probably create a stored procedure that would replace the sub reports. Anyway, the more info you can supply the easier it is to help..


    SQL queries - only.  Setting the data-source programatically using C#, it's CR for VS2005, and they are linked sub-reports.

    I would rather not use SPs if possible.

    I notice that when I edit a sub-report from a main-report that it strips out the sub-reports within the sub-report.

    Thanks
    Kev
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:06 AM
  • Hi Kev,  As for the subreport inside the subreport disappearing when you try to edit it, that is because when you insert a subreport, you are actually inserting a "new" occurance of it.  For example, if you have Report1 and you insert report1 into mainreport, and then edit subreport (report1) in the main report, you will not affect the original report1.  So if you open up your original report1, you will see the original report the way it was before you inserted it into your main report.  As to how to insert a subreport that has a subreport, I really don't know how you can do it.   Depending on what is in the sub reports, you may find it easier to just use a stored procedure rather than having to use sub reports.  It is much quicker and you don't have to worry about links and numerous datasets.  I hope you find an answer to this....good luck!!
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 3:52 PM
  • Hi

    Thanks the advice, in the end I've just moved these sub-subreports into the parent report instead, I've got it working fine now.

    Thanks

    Kev

    Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:18 AM