Control sometimes fails to return from online payment gateway RRS feed

• Question

• User-1314494361 posted

Hi all

My website (ASP.NET, VBasic) accepts credit card payments using a bank payment gateway that requests and processes card information and then (usually) returns control back to my website. Session ID is included in the information transferred to, and also from, the gateway. The process fails about 1% of the time in that when control is passed back to my website, my website is not recognising the control transfer and the user is redirected to my login screen.

My guess is that the Session ID returned from the gateway is for some reason not always recognised, so a new session starts.

SessionID is determined on-the-fly as required and immediately incorporated into the information sent to the payment gateway.:
    Dim User_SessionID As String = CStr(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Session.SessionID)

I do not store session ID as a cookie.

Can anyone shed light on why 99% of transactions work but 1% fail at the step of transferring control back to my application.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers...Alan

Monday, January 13, 2020 4:02 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

You should also have a look at the web server logs to see if they show any failed requests from the payment provider, although the payment provider should try to trap HTTP error codes and report those to you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:09 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

You should add some logging to the process, and then take up the matter with the payment provider's support service. 

Monday, January 13, 2020 7:20 AM
  • User-1314494361 posted

Thanks Mike
    I have talked with the payment provider.  They looked at their logs and could see no errors their end. I gave them the session ID of failed 'control transfer back to my website'.

I will now log the session ID values on my login screen and wait for the next failure of 'control transfer back to my website'.

If there is a control transfer failure what might I do?
    Can I capture the query string information associated with the transfer of control instruction sent by the payment provider?

Cheers...Alan

Monday, January 13, 2020 11:58 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

You should also have a look at the web server logs to see if they show any failed requests from the payment provider, although the payment provider should try to trap HTTP error codes and report those to you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:09 AM