none
Custom new/edit forms for multiple content types RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have an announcement list with multiple content types. Is it possible for each content type (some have shared columns) independently to create a custom new/edit form. I have only the SharePoint Designer at my disposal.

Thank you and kind regards

ivicapro1987

Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:50 AM

All replies

• Hi ivicapro,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to create a custom New/Edit form for each content type from an announcement list with mulitple content types.

You can do it via SharePoint Designer 2013. Firstly, open your site with SharePoint Designer, then go to the list, and click “New…” in Form section. And when you create a custom form, you can select the type of the form and the content type. If you want to use the custom form as default form for the content type, you can select “Set as default form for the selected type”.

There is a screenshot for your reference:

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 23, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Thanky you Wendy for the reply

I already tried that. I can use only one custom form for all content types and it seems to produce some errors. The columns of the two content types from the same test list are mixing together. On the list settings (content type settings) the columns are arranged correctfully but on the custom form all columns from both content types are mixed together. No matter which new form I open the columns are for some reason mixed together. I need for each content type a different custom form.

Thank you and kind regards

Friday, January 23, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hi ivicapro,

Please provide some screenshots about your issue to troubleshot.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 2, 2015 3:46 AM
  • Hi Wendy

I created a test list which has two content types: the first content type is the standard content type for anouncements (Anzeige) and the second one is a custom content type named Personal. In the screenshots below you can see the columns for each content type:

The standard non-custom content type

Custom content type: Personal

Will continue on the next post.

Monday, February 2, 2015 2:16 PM
  • In the designer I made one additional New Form and made it as the standard for the content type Personal:

After saving the changes I tried to create a new element but all columns on both content types are mixed:

Strange is if I create a New Form for the standard content type the custom and the non-custom content types are showing the same columns (the columns from the non-custom content type). The columns from the custom content type are not showing.

Kind regards

ivicapro

Monday, February 2, 2015 2:18 PM