Can not debug in VB Express or C# Express RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having a little problem with the Express editions and I'm starting to lose patience quickly over it. All I want to do is run a brand new, unchanged, application that I have created in either VB Express or C# Express (I've tried it in both) in Debug mode. But when I press F5, the application pops up briefly (like for one second) as it should and then immediately closes down and returns me to the design view.

Yay to Microsoft for making the Express editions free. However, they are of no use to me if I can't run my apps in debug mode. Especially when I haven't added a single line of code to a new project. Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've uninstalled just about every application that I can think of that would cause this and I even removed and reinstalled my copy of C# Express to see if that would do any good, all to no avail. 

I do have VS 2003 Standard installed...would this make a difference?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:20 AM

Answers

• For those who are interested. The problem appears to be with the length of the project name. If you create a project with a name that is longer than 10 or 11 characters in length, 'Debug,' or 'F5,' will not work properly in C# Express. However, if you create a project with a name that is less than 10 or 11 characters, the debugger works as it should. I've reported this to Microsoft, but I thought I would pass the word in case anyone else runs into this problem.
    Friday, December 16, 2005 3:35 AM

All replies

• For those who are interested. The problem appears to be with the length of the project name. If you create a project with a name that is longer than 10 or 11 characters in length, 'Debug,' or 'F5,' will not work properly in C# Express. However, if you create a project with a name that is less than 10 or 11 characters, the debugger works as it should. I've reported this to Microsoft, but I thought I would pass the word in case anyone else runs into this problem.
    Friday, December 16, 2005 3:35 AM
  • Thank you so much! I was having the same difficulty. Stopped me coding for...well since I downloaded this actually. Thanks a lot for the info! :D
    Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:55 AM
  • Thank you.  I cannot wait to apply this fix to a problem that's been haunting me for about two weeks in the year 2020!
    Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:28 PM
  • Thank you once again I'm back and it worked!  I feel grateful to you for the fix and angry at Microsoft for not fixing this in the 15 years since you discovered it.  That was something that occurred frequently in the last century when I started in software.
    Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:21 PM