List of items not migrated in share point 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a scenario, where I have to migrate share point 2007 sub-site to Share Point 2010 website.  Current 2007 subsite contain workflows, custom master page ....etc.  I want to know what all items that are not migrated when we use Database backup approach.  

Regards,

Kamal Pundir.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

• List workflows, site workflows (created in SharePoint Designer) and infopath forms (either upload in library or customized forms of lists) all reside in the database. Therefore, they will be migrated with the DB backup/restore.

If your workflow is in VS then that has to be separately migrated. You must redeploy the solution package of the workflow on your new server as VS workflow introduce dlls in the environment (not part of DB).

As I earlier said. Just follow the rule that whatever resides in the DB is part of DB backup and whatever is in the file system needs to be separately migrated.

Regards, Huzefa Mala, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Kamal Pundir Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:13 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 5:06 AM

All replies

• Please refer these posts first:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/aba647cf-b502-480a-ba4c-3a46cbbf7d54/

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/f4ed7575-b70d-43a4-b4a3-48ffe2bc67e0

Whenever you are using content database restore, all things on the file server will not be migrated with the database restore. Everything that is in the database will be migrated.

Things on the file server are:

• Custom features
    • Custom Themes
    • Custom user controls
    • Custom web parts
    • Custom pages
    • Custom web services
    • Any custom code introduced throuh dlls (workflows, event receivers, timer jobs).

All these are ideally deployed with the help of solution packages. So all you would need to do is deploy your solution packages in the new environment. But, as is expected from any custom code, you might have to make certain modifications to your code for it to work correctly in SharePoint 2010.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Thanks Huzefa for your reply. But if i want to transfer my sharepoint designer workflows (List Level,Site level..) and infopath forms. than what all steps that i have to follow.

Regards,

Kamal Pundir

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:48 AM
  • List workflows, site workflows (created in SharePoint Designer) and infopath forms (either upload in library or customized forms of lists) all reside in the database. Therefore, they will be migrated with the DB backup/restore.

If your workflow is in VS then that has to be separately migrated. You must redeploy the solution package of the workflow on your new server as VS workflow introduce dlls in the environment (not part of DB).

As I earlier said. Just follow the rule that whatever resides in the DB is part of DB backup and whatever is in the file system needs to be separately migrated.

• Marked as answer by Kamal Pundir Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:13 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 5:06 AM