Open Windows 8 App from web application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a web application, I want to launch my Windows 8 application from the web application.

Please help me, how to do this?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

• I wrote some of this up in my book, on the third to last page. This should give you enough to go on, especially referencing the Developer Blog post:

Connecting Your Website

If you have an app, you’ll almost certainly have a site that provides additional information and support. (Requirement 6.3 deals with support specifically.) What, then, if potential customers come to your site first? Surely you’ll want to provide an easy way for them to acquire your app if they’re running on Windows 8.

For this you can simply link to a special URI for the Windows Store that starts with ms-windows-store, as described on Creating links with the Windows Store protocol. You can also use the form ms-windows-store:REVIEW? to link directly to your app’s ratings and reviews. And also remember that you can include a link to your app’s page in the Store with data packages you provide to the Share contract, as covered in Chapter 12, “Contracts.”

With Internet Explorer, a little bit of metadata in your web page’s <head> will enable a feature that makes it simple for a customer to acquire your app and even run it if the app is installed. For example:

<meta name="msApplication-ID" content="ProgrammingWin8-JS-CH17-HereMyAm17"/>
    <
    meta name="msApplication-PackageFamilyName"

content="ProgrammingWin8-JS-CH17-HereMyAm17_5xchamk3agtd6"/>

where the two content values come from the Package Name and Package Family Name fields in your manifest’s Packaging tab. Again, if the user doesn’t have your app, this makes the acquisition process easy. If the user does have your app, he’ll have the opportunity to launch it in which case the app will be activated with the launch kind of protocol.

For more, see Linking to your apps on the web on the Windows Store developer blog and Connect your Web Site to Your Windows 8 App on the Internet Explorer blog. And for a working example, visit the site of Inrix Traffic, one of the earliest app partners who implemented these features.

Kraig

Author, Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, a free ebook from Microsoft Press

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:38 PM

All replies

• I wrote some of this up in my book, on the third to last page. This should give you enough to go on, especially referencing the Developer Blog post:

Connecting Your Website

If you have an app, you’ll almost certainly have a site that provides additional information and support. (Requirement 6.3 deals with support specifically.) What, then, if potential customers come to your site first? Surely you’ll want to provide an easy way for them to acquire your app if they’re running on Windows 8.

For this you can simply link to a special URI for the Windows Store that starts with ms-windows-store, as described on Creating links with the Windows Store protocol. You can also use the form ms-windows-store:REVIEW? to link directly to your app’s ratings and reviews. And also remember that you can include a link to your app’s page in the Store with data packages you provide to the Share contract, as covered in Chapter 12, “Contracts.”

With Internet Explorer, a little bit of metadata in your web page’s <head> will enable a feature that makes it simple for a customer to acquire your app and even run it if the app is installed. For example:

<meta name="msApplication-ID" content="ProgrammingWin8-JS-CH17-HereMyAm17"/>
    <
    meta name="msApplication-PackageFamilyName"

content="ProgrammingWin8-JS-CH17-HereMyAm17_5xchamk3agtd6"/>

where the two content values come from the Package Name and Package Family Name fields in your manifest’s Packaging tab. Again, if the user doesn’t have your app, this makes the acquisition process easy. If the user does have your app, he’ll have the opportunity to launch it in which case the app will be activated with the launch kind of protocol.

For more, see Linking to your apps on the web on the Windows Store developer blog and Connect your Web Site to Your Windows 8 App on the Internet Explorer blog. And for a working example, visit the site of Inrix Traffic, one of the earliest app partners who implemented these features.

Kraig

Author, Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, a free ebook from Microsoft Press

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will go through this.

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:56 AM