none
Multiple Operating System - Dreamspark Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've a questions with regards to the number of OS installations for Dreamspark account.

As a postgraduate students majoring in Information Assurance/Information Security, one of our research and studies are to penetrate and discovered vulnerabilities of the particular Operating System. Not limited to penetration testing, the students will have to conduct a studies and to have a better understanding on the particular operating system in order to develop ways and secure the information through multiple layers of security methodology and technology. As listed below is my current existing system installed with OS from Dreamspark account:

Existing Physical Machine : 3 Laptops (Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 Pro - SP1, and Windows 8.1 Pro)

However, my questions are:

1) Can I install all the available OS in the Dreamspark account (Desktop/Server Operating System) in the virtual machine? The reasons are due to the limited physical machine and because it was easy to revert back by using snapshot. There are a possibility the exploit might corrupt the OS, therefore by using revert or a copy of the VM, it can saves a lot of times.

2) How many times can I install and activate the same OS in the same machine if the test might crash/corrupt the OS?

3) How many times can I install and activate the same applications (any Microsoft applications in the Dreamspark)? It was possible that an exploit might cause the application to crash/corrupted

Thank you

Sincerely,

Future Information Security Engineer

• Edited by Irzani Friday, October 25, 2013 6:09 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 6:07 AM

Answers

• Irzani,

Regarding 1) I dont see any specific limitations regarding using Virtual environments in the EULA, but I'm double checking with our DreamSpark expert and will get back to you.  Update: For virtual machine usage in DreamSpark, the product EULA applies.  Here's the message back from the dreamspark team:

Member department can run the DreamSpark Premium Subscription software in a virtualized environment only to the extent such rights are granted by the individual application end user license of the respective software. To review the end user license for Microsoft products to review whether or not virtualization is allowed, please refer to the Microsoft Legal and Corporate Affairs website.

Regarding 2) and 3), there are no limitations on the number of times you reinstall the same operating system or software program in DreamSpark.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Friday, October 25, 2013 3:03 PM