Returning your Windows Phone to its pre-Mango State RRS feed

• Question

• To return your Windows Phone to its pre-‘Mango’ state, you can use the following instructions:

1.       Copy your device backup from its secure location back to
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update\

2.       Open Zune

3.       Go to Settings->Phone->Update

4.       Click on the Restore button.  At this point Zune will walk you through restoring your phone

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:39 PM

All replies

• Thanks...I was having trouble finding the location of the backup.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:37 AM
  • When I did the Mango updates to my LG Quantum on the final reboot it got stuck on the screen with the LG logo and did not recover.  After a few hours of trying various things and trying to wait I turned the phone off by removing the battery.  As I powered the phone back up I pressed the camera and power buttons at the same time.  Once the LG logo returned to the screen I released the power button and then the camera button and got the Connect to PC screen.  When I plugged the phone in it was recognized by the PC and I then fired up the 4.8 Pre-release version of the Zune software.  When I went to settings it immediately took me to the restore screen and started the restore process to the backup I had made earlier.

Glad to have my phone working again after believing it was bricked for good but also concerned there is an issue with Mango updates on LG Quantum as I know of at least one other person who had same issue.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:22 AM
  • I also encountered the same issue. Left the phone for 10 hours with Zune sync. It was stuck at step 8 of 9 (rebooting the phone). had to pull it out and and resync with Zune to restore to previous build. :-(
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:44 AM
  • You, sir, are a life saver. It took me several tries but it finally worked. They key for me was to continue to hold the power button for 1-2 seconds after the LG screen appeared and then to release it and then the camera button. I was releasing it too quickly at first. On the time it worked I had also been holding the start button but I don't think that's necessary (release order was power button after ~2 seconds of LG screen followed quickly by camera button then start(windows) button). The restore is proceeding as I type this.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:57 PM
  • This is NORMAL it seems for it to hang at the LG, Samsung, ect screens after the MANGO UPDATE on first boots. Tell me this did ZUNE state it was completed? If not you should have waited it out a little longer. Mine took seriously 2.5 Hours to update on my Focus and I actually did think it was hung the first time around and unplugged it and had to restore the phone. After the restore I let the update sit and low and behold it updated successfully. All in all ITS NOT HUNG even tho you think it is :/
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:10 PM
  • This is NORMAL it seems for it to hang at the LG, Samsung, ect screens after the MANGO UPDATE on first boots. Tell me this did ZUNE state it was completed? If not you should have waited it out a little longer. Mine took seriously 2.5 Hours to update on my Focus and I actually did think it was hung the first time around and unplugged it and had to restore the phone. After the restore I let the update sit and low and behold it updated successfully. All in all ITS NOT HUNG even tho you think it is :/

I waited it out with my Quantum for 5+ hours (having taken a nap after the reboot had sat for more than half an hour) at which point my phone's battery had completely drained such that it shut itself off and was in the powered off charging state.

The Focus and the Quantum are different devices. I'm now trying a second time and am having exactly the same result so far, namely it hangs on "Step 8 of 9: Restarting Your Phone ..." when updating to 7661.

People having issues with the Quantum are not impatient or incapable of following instructions. IT IS HUNG. No, ZUNE did not state that it was completed. All that happened was that after ~20 minutes ZUNE unlocked the "Cancel" button. The phone was not listed in the task bar notification area's list of USB devices. When it gets to Step 8, it reboots, the screen goes black, the LG screen appears, it sits there for approximately a minute, then it blacks out again and the LG screen then reappears and it sits there indefinitely until your battery dies (since when it's in this state it is apparently incapable of drawing power from the computer).

---

If anyone has an LG that you got to work, I'd be interested to hear about it. In particular, whether you updated to 7392 before hand (it just came out the day the Mango beta released which makes me wonder if there's something to do with that), and whether it's a phone you use as a phone (i.e. it has games and apps installed on it) or if it's solely for testing (either nothing installed or perhaps only some sideloaded apps you have in development). Also whether you have a service contract for it or if it's carrier-free. Also, though it shouldn't matter, whether you did this on a 32-bit or 64-bit system. So far I've tried x64; I have an x86 laptop so I'm tempted to try it on that.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:19 AM
  • This is NORMAL it seems for it to hang at the LG, Samsung, ect screens after the MANGO UPDATE on first boots.
    My Samsung Focus must be abnormal.  It updated in just over an hour from NoDo to Mango without any hangs or hold-ups.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:25 AM
  • Sounds exactly like my experience so far as well.  I am trying this on an X64 system - might just try it on a 32 bit system to see what happens.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Nope, the 32 bit system also not helping either. I do have both and I tried on both. Nothing works. Stuck at LG screen forever.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:46 PM
  • My Samsung Focus (AT&T) was getting the 80180048 error related to ULDR on the first update.  Since it sounds like that won't be fixed for weeks I wanted to restore the backup I made so I have a more recent backup when I can install it and don't get the notifications all the time about an update I can't get..  When I try to restore, I get a 801812E0 error.  Does this mean that I will never be able to restore my phone back to the pre beta state?
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Is your phone usable? If so, what version does it say it's running currently? (Settings->About->More Info; should be something like 7.0.XXXX.0 - mine's at 7.0.7392.0 for instance.)

If your phone is at 7392 or anything below that then it never updated anything such that you shouldn't need to restore. If it is at a higher version than that, is unusable, or if you're worried about it and want to know what the error code means and can't find it on the net somewhere (I did a cursory search and didn't find much that was helpfuL0, then I recommend opening up a support request - https://windowsphone.create.msdn.com/support?redirectToUrl=%2FApp ; make sure to include all of the information that the instructions PDF that's on the Connect site asks you to include (to the extent possible; if you can't access some of the info because the phone's unusable, then just say that).
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Nope, the 32 bit system also not helping either. I do have both and I tried on both. Nothing works. Stuck at LG screen forever.

Doggone it, me too! It's super annoying. Why doesn't the Quantum work?? :/
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:33 AM

Doggone it, me too! It's super annoying. Why doesn't the Quantum work?? :/

It seems the issue lies with the firmware of Quantum. I installed it on HD7 and it rocks. Within 30 minutes I was able to back up the phone, run updates both 7401 and 7661 were installed smoothly. I was able to install on Quantum, but had to cold boot after the "Cancel" button appears on Zune in the step 8 of 9 by pressing vol Up, Vol Dn and camera and power until "Cold Boot" appears on the screen. But it basically wipes of everything (LG Apps, Your Data and Your Apps) and you will have vanilla Mango on your LG. If you don't care about those basically LG Apps then probably you should go in that route. I got an email from Microsoft support today confirming that we had to cold boot on Step 8 of 9 for Quantum ad there is no other go its seems.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Thank you very much, Venkatarama! This worked!! I now have vanilla Mango. Was it not supposed to be vanilla? Oh well, contacts will update in the cloud, right? Reinstalling wanted apps is a breeze. Only real problem is game progress forgotten...even though achievements are still unlocked. :P
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:41 AM

I waited it out with my Quantum for 5+ hours (having taken a nap after the reboot had sat for more than half an hour) at which point my phone's battery had completely drained such that it shut itself off and was in the powered off charging state.

The Focus and the Quantum are different devices. I'm now trying a second time and am having exactly the same result so far, namely it hangs on "Step 8 of 9: Restarting Your Phone ..." when updating to 7661.

People having issues with the Quantum are not impatient or incapable of following instructions. IT IS HUNG. No, ZUNE did not state that it was completed. All that happened was that after ~20 minutes ZUNE unlocked the "Cancel" button. The phone was not listed in the task bar notification area's list of USB devices. When it gets to Step 8, it reboots, the screen goes black, the LG screen appears, it sits there for approximately a minute, then it blacks out again and the LG screen then reappears and it sits there indefinitely until your battery dies (since when it's in this state it is apparently incapable of drawing power from the computer).

---

If anyone has an LG that you got to work, I'd be interested to hear about it. In particular, whether you updated to 7392 before hand (it just came out the day the Mango beta released which makes me wonder if there's something to do with that), and whether it's a phone you use as a phone (i.e. it has games and apps installed on it) or if it's solely for testing (either nothing installed or perhaps only some sideloaded apps you have in development). Also whether you have a service contract for it or if it's carrier-free. Also, though it shouldn't matter, whether you did this on a 32-bit or 64-bit system. So far I've tried x64; I have an x86 laptop so I'm tempted to try it on that.
    Hopefully you resolved your issues, but i have a quantum that i got working. I could not however, get it to install on my 'regular' pc, i had to do it on a BRAND NEW windows installation. It's not carrier specific, as far as i can tell. it's not branded anywhere, but originally was a bell phone, but i think it's factory unlocked. idk. I did it on x64, and i had installed the ringtone manager from those hackzors. I had updated to 7392, using the walshied method, as my carrier doesn't actually HAVE any wp7 phones, so i didn't think it was coming down the line. it is my main cell phone, and gets a fair bit of use. apps and game are there. No issues once there. worked like a charm to update. I cannot, however seem to go back to pre-mango. Everytime i move my backup to the folder it's supposed to go to, once zune starts, it's deleted, and there is no option to restore... this is actually a big problem for me, and any advice would be amazing. I want to return to premango asap... I have tried it on both my computers, the new one, and the old one... But no luck :( !!! EDIT: figured it out.. I have to move the restore files INTO the phone update folder WITH zune running. Once that was done, then i could go to zune, settings, update, etc. If i didn't have zune open, it would delete my restore point, so hope that helps! It's contrary to what the steps listed in the restore settings suggest, so here's hoping it helps somebody!
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:41 PM
  • To return your Windows Phone to its pre-‘Mango’ state, you can use the following instructions:

1.       Copy your device backup from its secure location back to
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update\

2.       Open Zune

3.       Go to Settings->Phone->Update

4.       Click on the Restore button.  At this point Zune will walk you through restoring your phone

Is there any way (sending the phone to MS, etc.) to restore your phone if your phone backup is gone missing? I did not immediately copy out the files (I know, my fault) from the backup location, and now they are gone from the Windows Phone Update folder.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Is there any way (sending the phone to MS, etc.) to restore your phone if your phone backup is gone missing? I did not immediately copy out the files (I know, my fault) from the backup location, and now they are gone from the Windows Phone Update folder.

Hi,
    i have the very same problem. i've updated my LG Phone to the first Mango release and postponed the backup of my phone backup. i've checked the folder yesterday and it's empty, there's only a small XML file. Why exactly zune decided to erase my backup without asking ? I'm absolutely sure i didn't and neither my computer had any faults.
    Thanks
    Stefano
    Friday, July 29, 2011 8:48 AM
  • My backups are also gone- luckily I did back up my backups.

However, I have a new problem.  I'm having lots of reliability problems after updating to the new Mango build 7712 so I thought I'd restore back to NoDo then upgrade straight to 7712 to see if that fixed anything.  After copying the backups to my appdata/local/microsoft/windows phone update I start up Zune and there is no Restore button under Settings -> Phone -> Update.

Anyone know a fix?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:45 AM
  • I'm having some trouble downgrading back to my NoDo restore, my Zune client appears to get stuck at Step 1 of 5: Preparing to Restore. It just sits at 0%.I think I have my backup correctly configured, it's a 6 gigish folder called ba3ba something something in the WPUpdate folder in appdata. Am I doing something wrong?
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:51 PM
  • I have the same issue - I copied  my backup back to the correct location but when I go into the settings->update option there is no Restore button - how can I get that to appear?
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Im getting the same issue.  I copy the backup data to the directory, run the settings -> update.  I see no restore option and when i check the directory where i copied the data, it gets deleted.  Suggestions?
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Hi All,

Here are a few suggestions that will hopefully get you unblocked so you can move forward with getting your phone's back to NoDo:

For users who notice that the 'Restore' seems to sit at 0% with no action:

·         One issue is that when you start a restore, the progress bar sits at 0% for a long time, maybe 10 or 20 minutes.  This is expected.  Under the covers the PC is checking all the backup data to make sure it is valid.  So if you have a 6 or 8 gig backup, that will take a long time.  If you open disk monitor on your computer you will see a bunch of action happening on the individual backup files.  If you have a slow hard drive, this might take longer.

For users who are not able to see the 'Restore' button as active within their Zune client:

·         If users are having problems with the restore button appearing, they probably don’t have the correct directory copied into “%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update”.  The one thing they can do is:

1.       Run “updatewp /list” with their phone tethered.  There will be a value listed after “SN:”.  It will look like a GUID.  They should remember that value.

2.       Their backup folder they need will have this same GUID as the name of the folder.  They need to copy this folder into “%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update”.

3.       The most common error I see is that someone copied a folder inside the GUID folder, to “%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update”.  The folder they usually mistakenly copy is <GUID>\RestorePoint\<GUID2>.

4.       If they only have a copy of the <GUID2> folder by mistake, they can correct this by manually creating a <GUID> directory, creating a “RestorePoint” folder in that directory, and copying <GUID2> into that directory.

I hope this helps,

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:14 PM
  • EDIT: figured it out.. I have to move the restore files INTO the phone update folder WITH zune running. Once that was done, then i could go to zune, settings, update, etc. If i didn't have zune open, it would delete my restore point, so hope that helps! It's contrary to what the steps listed in the restore settings suggest, so here's hoping it helps somebody!
    Bingo - that's the trick to anyone not seeing the Restore msg...open Zuen first, delete the guid file while Zune is open, put your back up guid folder et al in place, then go to Settings-Update. My restore message just showed up after following those steps. I'm also on an LG: full working phone with apps and games, AT&T service, enabled for developer app access. 5 step process to uninstall, worked fine. No hang up, no delay.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 11:07 PM
  • What about us people who's backup is just gone??? Am I able to do a backup of someone elses phone (same model) that is factory reset and restore that to my phone to get back to pre-dev-mango for the eventuall RTM update from my carrier?
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Am I able to do a backup of someone elses phone (same model) that is factory reset and restore that to my phone to get back to pre-dev-mango for the eventuall RTM update from my carrier?
    The backup will still contain phone-specific information, such as the GUID for that device.  You cannot restore from a backup of a different device at all.

You're not the only person who did not heed the warnings to backup the backup and keep it safe.  Microsoft have said many times that they can not make any guarantees about returning phones to an upgradeable state, which was why you agreed to the big disclaimer when you installed the Mango Beta.  Since there will most likely be many people who failed to keep their backups safe (probably about the same number as those who Walshed their phones), I would not be surprised if Microsoft or the ChevronWP7 team (or both) were able to find some sort of work around.  But there are no guarantees.  You accepted the risk when you installed the Beta with the proviso that you kept the backup safe.  You can only wait to see what happens.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:49 PM
  • I believe my HD7 was sucessfully restored to pre-Mango 7390 using the saved backup and this procedure. The associated laptop however failed to reboot normally during the Zune and SDK update and I now have no update connection with the device. By the laptop audio chime and phone vibration it would appear the laptop acknowledges the device, but Zune does not. 
    Latest Zune 4.8 and related troubleshooting tips and fixes have not remedied this. The phone recognizes an update is due, but I need to resolve this suspected driver mismatch to install it.
    Can anyone provide remedial advice, is there an earlier version of Zune that would provide driver compatibility? TIA
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:22 AM
  • What about us people who's backup is just gone??? Am I able to do a backup of someone elses phone (same model) that is factory reset and restore that to my phone to get back to pre-dev-mango for the eventuall RTM update from my carrier?

Bryce, I am pretty sure that without the backup you are not able to do anything and you are stuck at the build you are at. I remember from the directions that it was stated that without the backup you will not be able to go back to the retail image or install the released version of Mango (since it requires the retail image). I am not sure if this would work but if you know someone with the same phone that has the retail version you could try making a backup of their phone and then restoring that image to your phone. I could be way off base and I have a feeling that the backups are specific to each device.

If you have your phone covered under a 3rd party insurance company (i.e. squaretrade) and you have their ADH protection you might want to check and see if they would cover it.
    Sean
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:21 PM
  • How about a complete re-flash with the manufacturer's firmware? (as opposed to the MS firmware that is on there at the moment).

I'm still trying to find out whether the MS version installs a bootloader that makes it incompatible with the manfucturer's original firmware. I'm not talking about an upgrade or downgrade here, but a complete re-flash.

And my experience is limited to HTC devices, so this might only be an option for HTC devices.

The next hurdle is getting hold of the firmware to re-flash the phone. This is no longer generally available - and a HTC repair centre may refuse to reflash it because you put an "unauthorised" firmware on there. It's not that they can't do it, it's just that they won't.

But don't worry, you can get hold of the RUU image and do it yourself...just need to clear up that question about the bootloader and whether a re-flash reinstalls the original one.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:05 AM