none
.net framework 4 problem when turning off computer. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if any other problems like this has arisen, but my problem is also similar to the people who can't install .net framework 4 because of the infamous 0x80070643 error.

The thing is, I can uninstall and reinstall .net framework 4 just fine and it will work after reinstalling, but every time I turn off my computer and turn it back on the next day, .net 4 is broken as it was before I installed. Is this a problem with the updates or something? I'd just like to know if there's a quick way to fix this instead of what I've been doing, which is to install and uninstall every time I turn on my computer (which has gotten rather frustrating, as you can probably imagine.)

There is no error sign or anything when I turn off my computer at all, it's just every time I do, .net 4 framework stops working and gives me the whole 0x80070643 error, so I'm not too clear on which error logs I should post.

p.s. I'm not too sure how to pull up the error logs either, if anyone can help me with that.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:58 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure if this will help in your situation, but it's easy to try.

Before you install .NET Framework 4.0 again, follow the procedure provided by irarab in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/147e0599-0c47-4a96-88a0-7f87861c0052

Scroll down to the bottom of the thread to find irarab's response. His procedure has proved very useful in resolving .NET Framework 4.0 issues.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Hi waffleWolf,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Just for clarification, could you please let me know when did you encounter this error?

Based on the error code, the error code is an usual error during the installation. If this error appeared, it means the .NET Framework installation fails. This error is caused by many possible reasons, so I will provide some general installation tips which presumably you have done or not.

·         Please download .NET Framework 4 from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

·         Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.

·         Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).

·         Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%)

·         Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

·         Download and run the Log Collection Tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

·         Upload the vslogs.cab file located in %temp% folder to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:25 AM
  • actually, that's the procedure I used to get it installed properly, but unfortunately, every time I turn off my computer, it'll boot up with .net framework 4 broken. I'll try to be more specific when I reinstall it again next, and see if it's anything else that could be happening. I believe it might be the updates, since I seem to recall I had to re-update every time I turned off my computer after installing .net framework 4.

Thanks for the help.

• Edited by WaffleWolf Friday, December 2, 2011 2:54 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 2:41 AM
  • So what happens is that after I uninstall and clean out the temp and everything, I use the procedure that pvdg42 mentioned in his post to install .net framework 4 successfully. It runs perfectly until I decide to turn off my computer, in which the next time I boot up my computer, .net framework 4 is magically broken as if I did not perform the reinstall. I believe the current error log is identical to the one that a lot of people seem to be having, It's just so strange that I can install it, but then magically break it by turning off my computer.

Link to vslogs.cab:

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=A73EB9976892DD51&id=A73EB9976892DD51!105

Hope that link works, if it doesn't just tell me and I'll try to re-upload it.

Thanks for the help.

Friday, December 2, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Hi WaffleWolf,

From your logs, I just find some .NET Framework 4 installation logs before November 28<sup>th</sup>. From those logs, it seems like you install .NET Framework 4 successfully.

Could you please provide a print screen of the error message when you turned off your computer?

I also recommend you verify the .NET Framework 4 before reinstall, when you encounter the error again. Please use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify it: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Friday, December 2, 2011 10:00 AM
  • The problem is that there is no error message that pops up on my computer, it just gives me the 0x80070643 error when I turn on my computer the next day. So I usually can't tell .net framework 4 is broken until I try using it again. I ran the verification tool, and it would seem that all of the files in my assembly folder are considered missing to my computer, as almost 90% of those errors in the log are due to my computer saying that all of the .dll files are not installed in that folder. The other error messages are one or two .dll files in the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WPF folder. Not sure how to fix this though...

Thanks for your help again.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Hi WaffleWolf,

Could you please provide a print screen with us?

From your description, have you installed any restore software like Deep Freeze? It seems like all the installation actions were canceled after you reboot. If you have, please uninstall them and try again.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:01 AM
  • I don't have any of the restore programs installed. I wasn't sure what print screen you wanted, but I'll include one of the verification error log that I got. It's basically just showing the errors that I get when I try to verify the installation after I turn off my computer once. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=A73EB9976892DD51&id=A73EB9976892DD51!105#cid=A73EB9976892DD51&id=A73EB9976892DD51!104&sc=photos If the link doesn't work, I'll re-upload it again. Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Hi WaffleWolf,

The link I cannot open. Please check permission of your file. You can do this to collect screenshot: When the error occurs, press “PrScrn” on keyboard>>Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>Paint>>Hold “Ctrl” and press “v”>>Save picture and upload it.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:41 AM