none
mount an Azure File Storage account from Mac

Question

• From Ben Sparrow @BennySparra via Twitter

Hello, I can't seem to mount an Azure file storage account from my Mac. Could you point me in the right direction for this please?                   

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Monday, January 4, 2016 2:40 PM

All replies

• Do you know what the correct address would be to put into the "Connect to Server"? dialog box in the Mac Finder?
    Monday, January 4, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Can you confirm that your version of OSX supports and is configured to use SMB 3.0?

If it doesn't (and uses n older protocol like 2.1) it will not be able to connect to Azure Files (as per this article https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/#mount-the-file-share )

Donovan

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for replying. I'm using El Capitan which is version 10.11.2. From my various googlings I think this supports SMB v2.

Cheers

Ben

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:39 PM
  • According to the Apple documentation El Capitan uses SMB3 as the default and supports encryption (which azure files uses).  Page 22: https://www.apple.com/osx/all-features/pdf/osx_elcapitan_core_technologies_overview.pdf

So in theory it should work, however I don't think it is a supported or tested scenario.

can you try mounting it from the command line? the command would look something like this:

mount -t smbfs //storename:storageaccountaccesskey@storename.file.core.windows.net/SHARENAME /SomeLocalFolderOfChoice

Donovan

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:01 PM
  • Tried running the above command line and get the following error:  

mount_smbfs: server connection failed: No route to host

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

Mounting an Azure File Share on a Mac is not supported. This is because while OS/X claims they support SMB 3.0, they don't support SMB 3.0 Encryption, which is required to mount the file share from on-premises (or external to Azure).

We are working on this with Apple engineering, but they don't have a date on when it might be released.

(This answer is from Jason Tang, the PM for Azure Files.)

Robin

Sr. Content Developer at Microsoft

Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Hello

Thanks for that. We'll carry on using Cyberduck for the time being.

Cheers

Ben

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:47 AM
  • Any update on this?
    Friday, April 22, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Robin,

Is there any update from Jason Tang?

Thank you.

Tom Ward

Thank you. Tom Ward

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 11:47 AM
  • Hello,

Just to let you know, you can now mount Azure file storage location if you have macOS Sierra.

Cheers

Ben

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Ben,

Great news, thank you.

Tom Ward

Thank you. Tom Ward

Saturday, January 7, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Yes, I am connecting to the AZURE file share and logging in using the name of the storage as the ID and one of the keys at the password.

1) Open "Connect to Server" by pressing the keys command K

2) Copy and paste the URL for your AZURE file share into the Connect to Server box.  Make sure you put smb://  in from of it  for example:

smb://xxxxxx.file.core.windows.net/xxxxxxx

3) The Mac will prompt you for the user name and password, this is where you put in the of the storage and one of the keys

The Mac will mount the drive as a normal file server drive on your desktop.  It works for me, hopefully it works for you.

Monday, January 9, 2017 10:25 PM
  • Yes, I am connecting to the AZURE file share and logging in using the name of the storage as the ID and one of the keys at the password.

2) Copy and paste the URL for your AZURE file share into the Connect to Server box.  Make sure you put smb://  in from of it  for example:

3) The Mac will prompt you for the user name and password, this is where you put in the of the storage and one of the keys

The Mac will mount the drive as a normal file server drive on your desktop.  It works for me, hopefully it works for you.

Interesting - I found this worked after a fashion. Initially connects to the server, and I can open folders, browse through content, and even create content. But as soon as I select a different drive, the connection to Azure fails.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:07 PM

Interesting - I found this worked after a fashion. Initially connects to the server, and I can open folders, browse through content, and even create content. But as soon as I select a different drive, the connection to Azure fails.

OK. In addition to my response above, I have found that mounting using the command line is much more resilient. Here is the format to mount from command line:

mount_smbfs -d 0777 -f 0777 //[storagename]:[key]@[storagename].file.core.windows.net/[sharedname]  [Mount point in Mac filesystem]

Hope that helps

• Edited by Inspirative Sunday, January 22, 2017 10:16 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Keep getting the message "mount_smbfs: server connection failed: no route to host".
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.1

If this works maybe something else is wrong with the system or network?
    btw Server connection with smb://... does work although still buggy.

Suggestions please?

• Edited by MarcPeters Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:38 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:13 PM