Azure Web App "An error occurred while starting the application." with ASP.NET Core 1.1 Project RRS feed

• Question

• I get this error on my Azure instance:

An error occurred while starting the application.            .NET Core X86 v4.1.1.0    |   Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting version 1.1.1    |    Microsoft Windows 6.2.9200     |   Need help? 

http://marknoble.azurewebsites.net/

I verified that the issue isn't my code by creating a blank Solution (ASP.NET Core Web App), importing the deploy profile, and deploying.

Also, the solution was deploying fine until the other day.

It'd be nice to know how I can reset instances myself if this happens again.  I saw a similar post (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41915522/asp-net-core-1-1-runs-fine-locally-but-when-publishing-to-azure-says-an-error-o) where a person deleted and re-created it (which I haven't tried yet) because I'd rather prefer less than the nuclear option. :)

<footer></footer>

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• had something similar when app just stopped working after some point (after deployment)

Setting "remove additional files" check box helped me. Try to set it before deployment.

Please mark this as answer if it helps

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Yeah... I tried the "remove additional files" trick early on - and a few times since.  Didn't work for me.

I also tried connecting via FTP to delete the files... wasn't able to connect. :/

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:50 PM
  • try with deployment slot. deploy to stage and then replace. Had that case as will. when prod stopped working just redeployed and swaped with stage

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:21 PM
  • I don't have a staging environment set up yet.

Sounds like you're essentially suggesting that I create a new instance and deploy to that instead. :)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:08 PM
  • it can be in the same instance :) so will not add more costs

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:18 PM
  • Via what mechanism?  Deployment slots?

Those are limited to Standard and Premium plans.  This is a Free plan.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:49 PM
  • This is the generic error that is displayed when web apps have their environment variable set to production or staging.

You can check this article: http://blog.medhat.ca/2016/12/seeing-detailed-error-message-for.html which discussed about the same error message for ASP.NET Core 1.0. You can try the same and let us know if you need further investigation.

Also, you can check error logs or kudu console to get detailed error message or troubleshoot the web app: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2014/03/24/using-kudu-with-windows-azure-web-sites/

• Marked as answer by Swikruti Bose Wednesday, May 24, 2017 3:53 PM
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:05 PM
  • This is the generic error that is displayed when web apps have their environment variable set to production or staging.

You can check this article: <link> which discussed about the same error message for ASP.NET Core 1.0. You can try the same and let us know if you need further investigation.

Also, you can check error logs or kudu console to get detailed error message or troubleshoot the web app:<link>

I used the first link (I can't quote links 'cause I'm a noob) to set the environment variable to development, which let me figure out that I hadn't migrated my context to the Azure server.  This was a HUGE help.  Here's the command to update the context from the Package Manager Console:

Update-Database -Context "MyContext" -Environment Production

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:54 AM
  • Glad to know that your issue has been resolved.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:03 PM