Migrate VFP 6 application to SQL Server DB RRS feed

• Question

• We have an appicationb written in VFP 6.
    The DB has 9.75 GB and the year growth rate is 2 GB aprox.
    Do you think it is necessary to migrate it to SQL Server?
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:17 PM

Answers

• I answered in short in other thread.

Necessary? No.
    Might be good. Maybe. Depends.

In other words with so few information it is impossible to make suggestions. 

You are saying you have an application written in VFP6 and it is already using a db. Migrating to SQL server, also would mean a change in the application itself. If you would do that, then yes I would say it is better to migrate. Migration is not something that you would be able to do over night (unless you are an expert and the application is a very small one). 

• Marked as answer by Martin_Xie Monday, March 15, 2010 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:57 PM

All replies

• I answered in short in other thread.

Necessary? No.
    Might be good. Maybe. Depends.

In other words with so few information it is impossible to make suggestions. 

You are saying you have an application written in VFP6 and it is already using a db. Migrating to SQL server, also would mean a change in the application itself. If you would do that, then yes I would say it is better to migrate. Migration is not something that you would be able to do over night (unless you are an expert and the application is a very small one). 

• Marked as answer by Martin_Xie Monday, March 15, 2010 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Is there a risk that a single table will reach 2 Gig? If so, then you should consider migrating.
    Craig Berntson
    MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP
    INETA Regional Speaker
    www.craigberntson.com
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:47 PM
  • if i decide to migrate the databse to SQL server, and what about the code in which lenguage should i migrate?
    What other information could I find so you can give me more suggestions.

Many thanks

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:14 PM
  • There's nothing to stop you from using VFP for the front end application since you already know it.

If you want to use a language that is still being updated, I'd look at VB or C# from the .NET family or if you want something non-MS, look at Java.
    Craig Berntson
    MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP
    INETA Regional Speaker
    www.craigberntson.com
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Migrating data backend doesn't necessarily mean you should change language too. Migrating just the backend is easier as there would be less changes in existing code base. 
    If you mean you are ready for a rewrite and/or the developers of application do not have experience in doing that with VFP+SQL server then rewriting the whole thing in another language like C# might be something worth to think of (I would say go with C# + SQL server but I can't decide for you, what seems to be natural and easy for me might mean tons of loss for you). 

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:46 PM