none
C# to COM communication across different users RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a Windows XP machine running SP3.

I have a COM application installed and running in User Account A.

The COM application is made up of a couple of COM DLLs. I have generated the Interop for the COM DLL. I need this interop in order to be able to recieve messages from a .NET Client.

When I login to user A and run a C#.Net application that sends a message to the COM DLL via Interop everything works perfectly. I get a response back and everything is perfect.

Now I switch users. I switch from User A to UserB.

From UserB I run the same C#.Net application to send a message to the COM DLL via Interop running in User A.

The C#.Net application is unable to communiate with the Interop for the COM DLL.
    The error message I get is "The server threw an exception. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010105 (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT)"

Do I need to enable anything in the .Net framework for communcation across users?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Chalam

chalam
    • Changed type Zhi-Xin Ye Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:04 AM change to comment since no response for more than 3 days.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:53 PM

All replies

• You'll need to debug this server side.  RPC_E_SERVER_FAULT is a very generic error that only means "there was an exception in the server".
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:53 PM