none
Getting an error message "The service method is not found" while calling ReverseGeocode method RRS feed

• Question

•  I am encountering the above error while calling the ReverseGeocode method of the GeocodeServiceClient service since today morning.

Friday, August 4, 2017 3:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suspect you are using the legacy SOAP services which were retired in June and recently shut down. The retirement of the SOAP services were announced over a year ago and all accounts were notified several times of this shut down. Additionally, the SOAP services were replaced by the REST services over 7 years ago. Documentation for the SOAP services were taken offline a few years ago.

You need to migrate your application to use the REST services. Here is documentation on the REST services:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff701713.aspx

If you are using .NET here is helpful library: https://github.com/Microsoft/BingMapsRESTToolkit

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Friday, August 4, 2017 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by WhatsNewNow Friday, August 4, 2017 7:48 PM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Thanks Ricky!!
    That was very helpful and saved me a ton of time.

Friday, August 4, 2017 6:18 PM
  • We've experienced the same issue here. But something unusual seems to have happened. As of about 2pm PST we are seeing the deprecated Bing Maps code working again. Was the change reversed?? I'm not seeing any news announcements.

Friday, August 4, 2017 9:29 PM
  • The only change today was that the SOAP services where re-enabled for the SQL Reporting Tools account, but this is limited to their applications.

Friday, August 4, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Hi Ricky, thank you very much for this direction. We lost our Bing base map in our production applications last week. Is there a code sample for migrating to REST services just the base map, using Silverlight and Visual Basic?  Thanks again, Greg.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Hi Greg_A_J,

Can you create a new post as your issue is separate from this one. In your post can you provide more details such as;

• Is your Silverlight application using the Bing Maps Silverlight control that was retired last November?
    • Is your application using some other Silverlight control such as ESRI or Teletrik? Is so, reach out to those companies as they likely already have a solution.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 7:40 PM