Using Active Directory for Authentication on Internet MVC RRS feed

• Question

• User1864611142 posted

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out if you can use Active Directory for authentication on an Internet MCV site. The stuff I have been finding searching on google all talk about an Intranet application.

Is this possible to do?

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:33 PM

Answers

• User1508394307 posted

Chris,

it depends where your AD is located. AD is a core component in a Windows-based enterprise network and that's why it's a standard for authentication in asp.net intranet applications. It could be expanded outside of a corporate network (i.e. internet), though this complicates the security and setup of the network rather considerably. So, if a user inside your organization needs to be authenticated with the same identity against remote website then you either need to have an AD replication or use ADFS. If you need to authenticate any user against AD at remote site then I think there should be no problem.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:28 AM
  • User1957004874 posted

I have been trying to figure out if you can use Active Directory for authentication on an Internet MCV site.

You can use ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider to authenticate the user with AD, it can be cofigured along with AD Connection string and get you going. Remember you are still required to use FormAuthentication to drop the authentication cookie to client machine to validate the user in subsequence request.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:00 AM
  • User-2007877324 posted

You can enable Active Directory authentication on Internet. There are two approaches

- On the IIS enable windows authentication. This is what you are referring above. Although this is recommended for intranet, but you can use it on Internet also

- Another approach is to have a login page (similar to forms authentication). For this you can use the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider. If you don't want to use membership, checkout this code

How to authenticate against the Active Directory by using forms authentication and Visual Basic .NET

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:49 AM

All replies

• User197322208 posted

if you can use Active Directory for authentication on an Internet MCV site.

Maybe you want to say "intranet" . Just read the "readme.txt" that comes with MVC template "

To enable Windows authentication on Windows:

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:19 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

Chris,

it depends where your AD is located. AD is a core component in a Windows-based enterprise network and that's why it's a standard for authentication in asp.net intranet applications. It could be expanded outside of a corporate network (i.e. internet), though this complicates the security and setup of the network rather considerably. So, if a user inside your organization needs to be authenticated with the same identity against remote website then you either need to have an AD replication or use ADFS. If you need to authenticate any user against AD at remote site then I think there should be no problem.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:28 AM
  • User1957004874 posted

I have been trying to figure out if you can use Active Directory for authentication on an Internet MCV site.

You can use ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider to authenticate the user with AD, it can be cofigured along with AD Connection string and get you going. Remember you are still required to use FormAuthentication to drop the authentication cookie to client machine to validate the user in subsequence request.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:00 AM
  • User-2007877324 posted

You can enable Active Directory authentication on Internet. There are two approaches

- On the IIS enable windows authentication. This is what you are referring above. Although this is recommended for intranet, but you can use it on Internet also

- Another approach is to have a login page (similar to forms authentication). For this you can use the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider. If you don't want to use membership, checkout this code

How to authenticate against the Active Directory by using forms authentication and Visual Basic .NET

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:49 AM
  • User1864611142 posted

Thanks for these replies, they answered what I was looking for perfectly!

Chris

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:09 AM