File Summary Information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I was looking for a way to edit file Summary information likes Author, Comments, title, etc... then I found OLE File Property Reader 2.1  

Before I started doing any coding with OLE File Property Reader 2.1, I used the sample utility which has been provided with the installation pack.

I used above utility to update Comments field for non-Microsoft files like HTML, HTT, HTM, etc.... files and I noticed that the updated values are not visible via either File Summary Information dialog or details view of windows explorer in Windows 7.

I assumed that is because such files don't have IPropertySetStorage or IPropertyStorage interfaces which Microsoft files used to store its meta data.

Now surprisingly, though the updated values are not visible either via File Summary Information dialog or details view of windows explorer in Windows 7; when I use the same utility to edit comment again for the same file, it shows the existing value. so that means metadata saves somewhere in the file though they are not visible via Windows 7.

Can anybody explain me how does OLE File Property Reader 2.1 able to save metadata for ascii files such as HTML, HTT, HTM, etc...  in windows 7 platforms and where they have been stored in the file?

Cheers!
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Ecasper,

Please try this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

You may got an answer.

Have a nice day.

Call me ghost for short, Thanks
    To get the better anwser, it should be a better question.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Feng Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Ecasper,

It seems that this is not a developer question. So what do you want to do with VB.net?

Have a good day,

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:47 AM
  • I'm sorry if it doesn't sound like one.

In that case, Can any forum administrator direct my query to place where I can really find a answer for my question?

Cheers!
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Hi Ecasper,

Please try this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

You may got an answer.

Have a nice day.

• Marked as answer by Mike Feng Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:34 AM