Windows 7 wake-up from sleep issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased a new desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit OS.  (it is an HP Pavalion e9280t).  I would like to set a sleep mode so that the computer and display (monitor) both go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity.  I did in fact set the settings this way, and the PC and display go to sleep.  However, after I wake it up by moving the mouse, I find that any program or application that I attempt to open at that point just hangs and does nothing (the cursor goes into hourglass mode forever and the program or application does not start.  Even with programs or applications that were already open at the time of sleep, they also do the same thing if I go back into them after the PC is woken up).  I am ultimately forced to hard power down the PC and power it back up, which defeats the whole purpose of putting it to sleep in the first place.

Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?  Here is what I have already tried:

I have tried just putting the display to sleep, and not the computer, and that wakes up just fine (all programs and applications work fine when waking up just the display).  It is when I put the computer to sleep that I have the wake up problem.

I have gone into msconfig and disabled every program and service from starting up except Microsoft programs and services.  I rebooted for this new config to take effect, and then tried sleep mode again, and still had the exact same wake-up program.  I unplugged every USB device (except the keyboard, which of course you need to work the PC), rebooted the PC, and put it to sleep just using my keyboard.  Still had the same wake-up problem.

In advanced power options, I tried the hybrid mode both as On and Off, and had the same wake-up problem either time.  I also tried the hibernate setting both at "Never" and at a set time interval, and had the same wake-up problem either time.

I checked if Microsoft had a hot fix for this issue, and I found a hot fix for this issue for Vista (so this definitely was a know issue with Vista, at least).  Taking a chance, I downloaded that one and tried to use it for Windows 7, but it immediately disallowed that, saying that it was written for Vista and not Windows 7.  I am not sure if Microsoft has a similar hot fix for Windows 7 or not, or if they yet realize this is an issue for Windows 7.

I don't know what else to do, but I would love to be able to put the PC to sleep instead of hard powering down every time I am done with it.  Are there any other things that I could try, or does anyone know of potential solutions for this problem?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:18 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same problems with sleep mode on a custom built system with ASUS motherboard; 2 other PC's with Win 7 x64 wake without issue.  The system with problems was upgraded from Vista x64 while the 2 without problems were clean installs.  Have you found any solutions?  What motherboard is in your HP?

It doesn't seem to be an Intel/AMD issue as I have one of each that work fine. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:38 AM
  • I have the exact same issue on my custom built desktop.

I also upgraded from Vista 64.

Monday, April 26, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Specs:

i7 920

Asus P6T

OCZ ? 6GB tri-channel ddr3

Asus Hybrid Power 9800GT

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:22 PM
  • I have tried the power button which used to work in XP but doesn't now. I have also tried every button on the keyboard and mouse. I updated the Nvidia driver yesterday to the latest.

Power settings

Top level=Balanced
    Turn off display=30 mins
    Put comp to sleep=5 hours (changed to stop it sleeping)
    Turn off HDD after 30mins
    Wireless Adapter =max performance
    Allow hybrid sleep=on
    Hybernate=never
    Allow wake timers=enable
    USB sleective suspend=Enabled
    Power button action=Shut down
    Sleep button=Do nothing (I don't have one)
    PCI Express=moderate power savings

Think that's all the relevant ones. I know the BIOS sleep is set to auto and I think manual options available are S1 or S3. I'm not home at the moment. I am remoted in but of course can't check BIOS.

for more information and help related to windows 7 sleep .

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 4:32 AM