DevelopmentStorage.exe.Config file is missing RRS feed

• Question

• DevelopmentStorage.exe.Config file is missing in Azure SDK 1.2. can any one help me out to configure sql server with windows azure.

Regards,

Megarekaa.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Megarekaa,

Here is what I would recommend assuming you're only going to build your application and host it in dev fabric only (instead of deploying it in the cloud). You can build a simple ASP.Net application which talks to a SQL Server database. However you must pay attention to the things that may not work in the cloud e.g. dependency on hard coded drive letters, session variables etc. This will ensure that when you run your application, it would work fine both in Dev Fabric and eventually in the cloud. For your SQL Server database, you can certainly use SQL Express instead of SQL Azure and have your app talk to this local database. When it comes to designing the database, it is important that you understand how SQL Azure is different than your regular SQL Server e.g. what data types are supported etc. etc. This will be helpful in case you want to host your app in Azure and want that app to talk to a SQL Azure database. One thing I would definitely recommend is not to keep your database connection string in web.config file as this will be packaged and you will not be able to change. Instead keep your database connection string in web/worker role's configuration file as you can change that file on the fly.

I think if you search on the Internet, you'll find plenty examples/tutorials on building Azure applications which talk to a SQL Server databases.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav

• Proposed as answer by Patriek van Dorp Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:25 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try this: From Windows Azure SDK command prompt type "dsinit /? ". It will give you the instructions on specifying a SQL Server to be used as storage store for development storage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Sql Development storage was successfully created. I ran a sample application 'AddressBook' just to store user address. but still the table is created in Windows Azure Storage and not in sql storage.

Regards,

Megarekaa.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:24 AM
  • If your code is trying to create a table in Azure table storage it will create a table there. Please note that Azure development storage creates a database and some tables in the database which somehow mimics Azure storage. It will not create SQL tables in that database which I believe you're expecting.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:28 AM
  • I want to create a table in sql instance. Can you help me with the steps to do this.

Regards,

Megarekaa.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. You want to use "Azure Development Storage" and "Azure Storage Client Library" and using that you want to create tables in Azure development storage database. Is this right? Can you please explain in detail what you're trying to accomplish and then it will be easier for us to help you out.

Thanks

Gaurav

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

I want to create a sample application in windows azure environment with backend as "sql server". When i went through some pdf it was given that to connect to sql server file"( DevelopmentStorage.exe.config,)" in windows azure sdk should be modified. But that file was not there in sdk which is why i raised a question. To be straight forward the tables should be created in sql server rather than Azure Development Storage. Can you please guide me to do this.

Regads,

Megarekaa.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Megarekaa -

It sounds like you do not want to use SQL Server directly rather than using Azure Storage Services. The issue this raises is what do you connect to when you migrate your services to the cloud.

If you are doing a completely new application you should consider using SQL Azure the cloud-based SQL Server offering from Microsoft. This is almost plug compatible with SQL Server. Indeed, you can pretty much develop as normal against a local SQL Server database and then change the connection string to point to a SQL Azure database. I write almost because there are some limitations in SQL Azure.

If you want to connect a service in an Azure datacenter to an existing on-premise SQL Server database you should use Azure App Fabric to provide a secure channel that tunnels into SQL Server. Brent Stineman has a post describing how to do this.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Neil. Iam new to this environment. Iam doing a POC on creating an application in Windows Azure platform. My concern is using Sql Azure requires account which is not required for POC. Moreover Azure Devlopment storage requires creating entity for each table which is why i wanted to use sql server as backend and access database with normal DataAccessLayer. Correct me if am wrong. Iam confused with the approach to start with. Can you please help me out. appreciate an Example.

Regards,

Megarekaa.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi Megarekaa,

Here is what I would recommend assuming you're only going to build your application and host it in dev fabric only (instead of deploying it in the cloud). You can build a simple ASP.Net application which talks to a SQL Server database. However you must pay attention to the things that may not work in the cloud e.g. dependency on hard coded drive letters, session variables etc. This will ensure that when you run your application, it would work fine both in Dev Fabric and eventually in the cloud. For your SQL Server database, you can certainly use SQL Express instead of SQL Azure and have your app talk to this local database. When it comes to designing the database, it is important that you understand how SQL Azure is different than your regular SQL Server e.g. what data types are supported etc. etc. This will be helpful in case you want to host your app in Azure and want that app to talk to a SQL Azure database. One thing I would definitely recommend is not to keep your database connection string in web.config file as this will be packaged and you will not be able to change. Instead keep your database connection string in web/worker role's configuration file as you can change that file on the fly.

I think if you search on the Internet, you'll find plenty examples/tutorials on building Azure applications which talk to a SQL Server databases.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav

• Proposed as answer by Patriek van Dorp Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:25 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:49 AM