Problems in importing maps from http://www.diva-gis.org/datadown RRS feed

• Question

• <p>Hi to all,</p>
    <p>i just want to import data from this site. the perfect solution for me is to put on a table all the countries of the world at administrative level 0.</p>
    <p>I've downloaded a big file (400 mb) from GADM site (linked from diva) containing what i need, but i can't upload the data in my db.. I use shape 2sql spatial tool, and when i load the file program say: &quot;Data seems to extend the valid bounds supported by geography type Continue?&quot;.</p>
    <p>If i click contunue the data insert blocks on row 14...</p>
    <p>even if i try to load the data of a single country like France, (from diva)&nbsp; it blocks......</p>
    <p>Does anyone got any ideas? The maps that i find in other sites have few accuracy, and i neeed to have more accuracy in my geography data.</p>
    <p>thx Massimo</p>
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:16 AM

All replies

• With geography, the size of a polygon can't excede a single hemisphere. So, if you need to import administrative data at level 0, use a geometry column.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Thanks, for reply,

i tried to import with geometry option but i got an error of out on memory when i try to load australia....

If someone got a valid alternative :)

Massimo

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Hi , i manage to load France map only using geometry datatype. the problem is that i can't view an image from sql server spatial results Tab . the error is : One or more object were too large to display.Please refine your query...
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Surely the geometry exceeds the point limit. You can Reduce it (just for displaying)
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:20 AM