Windows 8 Start button suggestion

General discussion

• I'll start by saying that I love the Metro UI, and it brings freshness to Windows. However, with that said, I can't stand the fact that the regular start menu is gone in the 'Desktop'.

So here's my suggestion. Keep everything the same Metro wise, but when your in the desktop, keep it like normal. When you click the start button, let it bring up the menus (old style). Then if you'd like to get back to the Metro UI, mouse to the lower-left corner and click start.

It's so simple, and would make Win8 perfect (in my opinion). Plus, users who aren't so tech savvy wouldn't feel like the change is so huge and intimidating.

Here us out Microsoft. I searched and there are plenty of us who feel the same. On the other new stuff, great work. I look forward to seeing more of it.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think the best way you can send these suggestion is by using Feedback tool:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/5227f0c3-7750-4833-a99f-6247041ddee9

Regards,

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:00 AM
  • I have to agree in that I love metro but the way its implemented so far takes too much away from the desktop experience and flipping back and forth between the desktop and metro ui's takes away from the metro experience.

Im not sure what the mechanism should  be but there should be a full split between the desktop and mobile ui where both have access to each others apps, files and data.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:11 AM
  • The start button on the desktop should at least bring up the settings, devices, share, search menu when clicked. I hate having to keep finding the right hover location to bring it up. We already have the window key for a quick switch between the desktop and the start screen. Give the start button a purpose, based on it's location it is the hottest spot (location wise) but the least functionality. Other items pinned to the taskbar have context menus. It only has "properties" which is accessible anywhere on the taskbar and open "windows explorer" which is pinned right next to it by default. Until people are used to the start key combinations you'll have a ton of accidental start button clicks where users are really trying to access the search. Also esthetically, the hover is kind of random. While I like the way it looks nothing else appears to make use of that metro feel. Maybe if the notifications on the task bar utilized this design element when hovered it wouldn't appear so disjointed.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:11 PM