Issues about Semantic Zoom RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All:

I have tried the Photos App from Windows Store and I found that we can zoom in many depth...(from album thumbnails to flip view for the specified photo and then zoom in 120% and more).

But WinJS.UI.SemanticZoom just has two levels zoom (zoom in & zoom out). I just want to know how to implement more levels semantic zoom like Photos App. Or...if not, should I implement this using navigator with crossfade animation?

Thanks for all helps..

Nick

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:44 AM

Answers

• Well let me help you in understanding this....

Semantic zoom is a feature in windows 8 apps, which gives the user to have an at a glance of all the contents of that page/screen. More details can be found here

but this should not be confused with the regular zoomin/out feature of any picture.

At the same time, if you review the photo app,
    ** you have the list of  albums with thumnails (grouped items) - no semantic zoom here
    ** you tap on any album , you navigate to the details of the album (group details) -- apply semantic zoom and it will show the folders of the albums

** you tap further-- you see list of images --- sub group details ---
    (no semantic zoom as you are eventually looking at the images itself, but now you have images to zoom in/out and can use flip views as well)

As the icons in Photo app is same for semantic zoom and zoom in out/ it can easily confuse you..but if you carefully observe, you will have +- both in case of zoom in out but not in case of semantic zoom ...
    hope it helps to clear some confusion :)

Arindam Basu

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:52 PM

All replies

• Well let me help you in understanding this....

Semantic zoom is a feature in windows 8 apps, which gives the user to have an at a glance of all the contents of that page/screen. More details can be found here

but this should not be confused with the regular zoomin/out feature of any picture.

At the same time, if you review the photo app,
    ** you have the list of  albums with thumnails (grouped items) - no semantic zoom here
    ** you tap on any album , you navigate to the details of the album (group details) -- apply semantic zoom and it will show the folders of the albums

** you tap further-- you see list of images --- sub group details ---
    (no semantic zoom as you are eventually looking at the images itself, but now you have images to zoom in/out and can use flip views as well)

As the icons in Photo app is same for semantic zoom and zoom in out/ it can easily confuse you..but if you carefully observe, you will have +- both in case of zoom in out but not in case of semantic zoom ...
    hope it helps to clear some confusion :)

Arindam Basu

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Thanks so much Arindam.
    Friday, November 9, 2012 2:38 AM