none
How to differentiate between custom tab stops and normal tab stops in Microsoft word RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

How do i differentiate the difference between a normal tabstop and a custom tabstop?

I have access to the custom tabstops using the sprmPChgTabsPapx variable.

But i don't know how to apply it, because there could be normal tab stops(0.5 inch) while with

the custom tab stops in the paragraph text run.

Thank you,

rana123. 

Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:37 PM

Answers

• rana123,

This information can be found in DopBase.dxaTab found in Section 2.7.2 on Page 164 of [MS-DOC]:

dxaTab (2 bytes): Specifies the default tab stop interval, in twips, to use when generating
           automatic tab stops as specified in [ECMA-376] Part4, Section 2.15.1.24 defaultTabStop.

This is a normative reference to ECMA-376 Part 4 Section 2.15.1.24, which states the following:

This element specifies the value which shall be used as the multiplier to generate automatic tab stops in this document. Automatic tab stops refer to the tab stop locations which occur after all custom tab stops in the current paragraph have been surpassed.

If this element is omitted, then automatic tab stops should be generated at 720 twentieths of a point (0.5") intervals across the displayed page.

We hope this answers your question.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    Open Specifications
    • Proposed as answer by King Salemno Monday, October 25, 2010 10:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by rana123 Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:27 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:33 PM

All replies

• rana123,

Thank you for your question.  Someone from the protocols team will contact you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Monday, October 18, 2010 2:59 AM
  • rana123,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your issue. I am currently investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    Open Specifications

Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

Hoping for for a quick and good answer. :)

Thank you,

rana123.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:11 PM
  • rana123,

This information can be found in DopBase.dxaTab found in Section 2.7.2 on Page 164 of [MS-DOC]:

dxaTab (2 bytes): Specifies the default tab stop interval, in twips, to use when generating
           automatic tab stops as specified in [ECMA-376] Part4, Section 2.15.1.24 defaultTabStop.

This is a normative reference to ECMA-376 Part 4 Section 2.15.1.24, which states the following:

This element specifies the value which shall be used as the multiplier to generate automatic tab stops in this document. Automatic tab stops refer to the tab stop locations which occur after all custom tab stops in the current paragraph have been surpassed.

If this element is omitted, then automatic tab stops should be generated at 720 twentieths of a point (0.5") intervals across the displayed page.

We hope this answers your question.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    Open Specifications
    • Proposed as answer by King Salemno Monday, October 25, 2010 10:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by rana123 Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:27 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

This is the answer i was looking for. Thanks for the answer!!

Thank you,

rana123.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 11:29 AM