none
Named Pipes vs. world RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I was reading about named pipes included in the .net fw3.5 ... and are very interesting. I read several articles about this new classes... but ... what are the benefits over other interprocesses comuntications techniques?

I think that in the same machine, IPC will be faster than remoting or a socket... but between different machines?? why pipes and not a socket or a remoting class?

And... a pipe can be duplex?  Clients can send a message to the server without a request of it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:56 AM

Answers

• Named pipe in .net 3.5 is just a wrapper on the native Pipe API provided by windows. And please visit this article for a comparison of current available IPC mechanisms provided by windows.

Named pipe is faster than socket or tcp, and remoting is a higher level concept that can use Pipe or tcp or sockect as is underground communication mechanism.

Two kinds of pipe:
    Anonymous pipes are character-based and are half-duplex.

Named pipes are far more powerful than anonymous pipes.  They can be duplex, over the network, and can support multiple server instances of a single name, making them ideal for quick-to-build, and easy to connect to, multithreaded servers.

Thanks!
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:26 PM