none
Report Designer VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• . I've used Report Designer in VS 2005 quite successfully, but I don't seem to be able to wrap my head around Report Designer in VS 2008. 

My application has a strongly typed dataset that I want to use but I can't figure out how. I can drag & drop particular fields, but I can't do so with tables. I don't see the preview and data tabs that were in RD 2005. I have Reporting Services and Business Studio installed.

MSDN seems to suggest that those tabs are supposed to be there?

If I click Data Sources from the Report menu, I see some tables but not all of them and I can't add anything new.

I'm really confused. Any ideas?

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:17 AM

All replies

• The fact that you don't see preview means that you're designing RDLC (local) reports. If you're designing RDL reports in a report server project, then you'll see the preview tab. You'll need to make sure you install Business Intelligence Development Studio from SQL Server setup as well. If you don't see business intelligence project templates in VS, then you dont have BIDS installed yet.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I'm sure I have BIDS installed. I'm designing a local report. I have an instance of SQL Server Express running locally and the idea is that the application will run against that and will synchronize with a remote server only occasionally. Anyhow, what I'm trying to figure out is how to add datasets in my report?
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:31 AM