none
Not able to print from WCF Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My requirement is that my service method will have to print on a certain printer based on certain criteria.

e.g., If Item category is X then print on printer X else print on printer Y.

The problem I am facing is, I am not able to retrieve the printer.

I am using LocalPrintServer.GetPrintQueue() method. 

I tried giving full rights to the service but no help.

Any help in this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Javed

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Javed,

As I said above, PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinters returns all printers installed on the local computer, instead try return both local and network printers with PrintServer.GetPrintQueues. So I mean if you want to use the printers installed from the user's perspective(on the local computer), using PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinters; if you want to use network printers, you can use the solution provide in this thread to return all printers.

Thanks.

Best Regards.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Javed,

>>The problem I am facing is, I am not able to retrieve the printer.I am using LocalPrintServer.GetPrintQueue() method. 

Is there any error message? Or do you check if the printer works when print from the service client(or from a simple console app)?

And there are some notes, GetPrintQueues doesn't return all printers installed from the user's perspective, just those owned by the local server, you can use System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinters which is a string[] you'll get a list of all printers installed from the user's perspective; or get the network printers by passing an array of EnumeratedPrintQueueTypes to GetPrintQueues(), details you can see at 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5645892/how-do-i-use-localprintserver-to-target-a-specific-printer

Best Regards.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:44 AM
  • Hi Haixia,

I tried System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinters but it still returns only XPS and Fax. It doesn't return me the network printers.
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Hi Javed,

As I said above, PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinters returns all printers installed on the local computer, instead try return both local and network printers with PrintServer.GetPrintQueues. So I mean if you want to use the printers installed from the user's perspective(on the local computer), using PrinterSettings.InstalledPrinters; if you want to use network printers, you can use the solution provide in this thread to return all printers.

Thanks.

Best Regards.

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:13 PM