In-Proc Engine: Could not load ebmedded data. RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting this error all of the sudden.  It appears that my gemini data has somehow gotten corrupted.  I am then prompted with "The embedded Gemini data is corrupt.  Would you like to delete it and continue using the workbook?"

If I choose yes, have I just lost all my work?

BTW,  the answer is yes.  I have lost all my gemini data. :(
    • Edited by kman626 Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:56 PM

Answers

• While there have been many fixes since the November CTP, we'd like to know if this is in fact fixed.

The only way we can be sure is if we go through exactly the same steps as you guys do and verify the bug repros in CTP3 but doesn't in newer builds.

My ask is for someone to help us do exactly this by providing the source data, a valid Excel workbook to start from, and the series of steps they go through.

You can contact me directly at my email address ashvini.sharma @ microsoft, and I'll make sure this sucker is nailed.

I appreciate this is not an easy thing to do and do appreciate your help!

thanks a bunch!
    ash

--
    Ashvini Sharma
    Program Manager
    SQL Server Analysis Services

Program Manager, SQL Server Analysis Services
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Yes, this one is a known issue and documented in the CTP3 readme.

thanks

Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:10 PM

All replies

• Here is some of what is in the event log:

The description for Event ID ( 19 ) in Source ( MSOLAP$LocalCube ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: An error occurred when loading the Sandbox cube, from the file, '\\?\C:\DOCUME~1\kmossma\LOCALS~1\Temp\IMBI_82C368A33F1743FE91EE\MS_bcfca0a2-b37b-4400-b9e5-f4026328fd76.13.db\Sandbox.155.cub.xml'..

The description for Event ID ( 19 ) in Source ( MSOLAP$LocalCube ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: An error occurred when loading the FlightAssignment dimension, from the file, '\\?\C:\DOCUME~1\kmossma\LOCALS~1\Temp\IMBI_82C368A33F1743FE91EE\MS_bcfca0a2-b37b-4400-b9e5-f4026328fd76.13.db\FlightAssignment.9.dim.xml'..

The description for Event ID ( 35 ) in Source ( MSOLAP$LocalCube ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \\?\C:\DOCUME~1\kmossma\LOCALS~1\Temp\IMBI_82C368A33F1743FE91EE\MS_bcfca0a2-b37b-4400-b9e5-f4026328fd76.13.db\FlightAssignment.0.dim\1.R$FlightAssignment$OutboundFlights.INDEX.0.idf.

The description for Event ID ( 19 ) in Source ( MSOLAP$LocalCube ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: An error occurred when loading the Sandbox cube, from the file, '\\?\C:\DOCUME~1\kmossma\LOCALS~1\Temp\IMBI_9D3A0988714011A2D8\MS_bcfca0a2-b37b-4400-b9e5-f4026328fd76.13.db\Sandbox.155.cub.xml'..

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:00 PM
  • There are two possibilites that come straight to mind (I'm sure there are more possibilities in general, but these are the first two that pop up).

1. Is your workbook a CTP2 or CTP3 workbook?  Please note that CTP2 workbooks will not work on CTP3 and will require you to rebuild from scratch.

2. Another possibility that has been popping up for CTP3 is "Creating a Relationship can render a workbook unusable".  For more information, please refer to Section 3.2.1 at:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155801:

HTH!

dennyglee.com | My SQL BI, SSAS, PowerPivot, and DW Musings “There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.” … Commander William Adama, Battlestar Galactica (2004) --- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Hi Denny,

I am using CTP3.  This just happened to me again with two brand new excel files.  I read the note.  It was not much help. 

It's not like I am doing anything complicated here....

Monday, November 30, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Hi,

Can you share us the steps you are performing which end up corrupting your data?
    We would like to make sure this issue has been addressed.

Thanks,
    Deva [MSFT]
    Deva
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Hi all,

Glad to hear we're not the only ones experiencing this issue. :-)

Our high level steps:
    1. Created model, making regular time stamped backups
     - While doing this, we were able to open and close the workbooks with no issues.

2. Came back about 3 hours later to reopen the workbooks (on the same machine that they were developed on)
     - received the "In-Proc Engine" error.
     - The following is in the event log (same as above essentially)
    An error occurred when loading the Sandbox cube, from the file, '\\?\C:\Users\gavinr.ISP\AppData\Local\Temp\IMBI_2C7410275AD844FDAAD9\MS_4eb0f67c-af83-430e-b3cd-e0845b2391b1.4.db\Sandbox.273.cub.xml'.

3. Even trying to open the workbooks on other computers produces the same error.

So quite difficult to pinpoint specific actions which corrupted the workbook.
    We're running 64-bit Windows 7, and the latest Beta of Office and CTP2.

thanks,

Gavin

Russell
    Friday, December 4, 2009 1:35 PM
  • I am doing some straight forward stuff.  get some data, review the relationships powerpivot created, make a pivot or two, save the file, close excel, reopen, poof.

One thing I did was turn off automatic save.  I did notice that it would kick in during the analysis process.  Since turning off auto save, I haven't had the problem.

Friday, December 4, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I got this too. I don't think I did anything to corrupt data. I even tried to extract SSAS database and attach it, but clearly it was corrupted. I posted all errors messages related to that here:

http://powerpivot-info.com/forum/4-powerpivot-and-dax-forum/23-error-in-proc-engine-could-not-load-embeded-data

I know there is know issue when corruption could happen when you create foreign keys, but that does not apply to my case.
    Vidas Matelis

http://www.ssas-info.com
    http://powerpivot-info.com
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:21 PM
  • I'm getting the same with CTP3. Simply load the data, build some pivots / charts, close the file, re-open and it becomes corrupted.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Been able to recreate the error by doing the following:
    - build model in powerpivot window.
    (this model includes info from SQL and 3 linked tables)
    This sheet can be distributed and saved and opened with no errors.

- when we add a pivottable / chart, save and reopen the book, the error occurs. (with the error details as listed above)

Hope that helps.
    Russell
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:38 PM
  • While there have been many fixes since the November CTP, we'd like to know if this is in fact fixed.

The only way we can be sure is if we go through exactly the same steps as you guys do and verify the bug repros in CTP3 but doesn't in newer builds.

My ask is for someone to help us do exactly this by providing the source data, a valid Excel workbook to start from, and the series of steps they go through.

You can contact me directly at my email address ashvini.sharma @ microsoft, and I'll make sure this sucker is nailed.

I appreciate this is not an easy thing to do and do appreciate your help!

thanks a bunch!
    ash

--
    Ashvini Sharma
    Program Manager
    SQL Server Analysis Services

Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I was getting this error all the time in CTP3. After reading Section 3.2.1 in the release notes, rather than trying to interpret the various changes proposed, I just made it a habit to refresh all data sources immediately after creating or changing any relationships. It is particularly important to do this before the workbook is saved, no matter whether it is an explicit save or an AutoRecover save. You don’t have to refresh the data sources after each relationship created, only when you are finished creating all your relationships. If later you add any relationships to your model, again...immediately refresh all data sources.

I have not encountered this error since I adopted this approach...but I can still easily reproduce the error by violating this approach.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Friday, December 11, 2009 4:32 AM
  • AshviniSharma,

I was also encountering this as a reproducable problem with the November CTP version.  Mark Ayo's procedure (refresh all data after establishing relationships) seems to work.  FWIW the fact table is 3M rows, the other tables are a few hundred.

Here are the exact steps to reproduce this problem here, in case it's still important at this point:

1. Open excel
    2. Create a dimDate in the first worksheet (Date, Year(Date), Month(Date), and WEEKNUMBER(Date)) columns
    3. Save Workbook
    4. Click PowerPivot ribbon
    5. Start PowerPivot environment
    6. Import three tables: factStoreSales, dimStore, dimItem
    7. Back to excel, create linked table for dimDate
    8. Back to PowerPivot environment
    9. Click "manage relationships" button
    10. Create relationships
     factStoreSales.Date->dimDate.Date (datetype=date)
     factStoreSales.StoreId->dimStore.StoreId (datatype=char)
     factStoreSales.SKU->dimItem.SKU (datatype=char)
    11. Save everything and exit
    12. Open Excel file
    13. View "your data is corrupt" error message
    14. Delete everything and start over
    Friday, January 15, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Yes, this one is a known issue and documented in the CTP3 readme.

thanks

Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:10 PM