Creating personal apps for Windows RT

Question

• Help please,

At the moment I can create apps for my own personal use on my Windows phone. I just connect the phone to my PC with a USB cable and deploy. It's easy and great. I am thinking of buying a tablet running Windows RT - the Nokia Lumia 2520 looks good. Can I do the same on that. I am not interested in putting apps in the store.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 10:40 AM

Answers

• Yes, of course you can. You create an APPX package not for upload to the store and install it on your machine. Keep in mind that you will have to reinstall it every 30 days since it does not have a sideloading license, but it's trivial to do that.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Dave Mullard Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:07 PM

All replies

• Yes, of course you can. You create an APPX package not for upload to the store and install it on your machine. Keep in mind that you will have to reinstall it every 30 days since it does not have a sideloading license, but it's trivial to do that.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Dave Mullard Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Hi Matt,

That was helpful. Thank you.

Dave

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:16 PM