problem with Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a project that reads excel spreadsheets using the oledbdataadapter.  To read xlsx files I installed the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 driver and it works fine.  However when I put that dll in an asp.net project it doesn't work.  On the open connection line it gives me an exception saying that Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 isn't installed on the local machine.  I've downloaded the latest driver and it is installed.  I've made sure the dll from the original project is in the asp.net project and is the latest version so I'm not sure what else to check.  What else could be going on here?  Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2007 5:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• How did you install the driver. Did you use Data Connectivity Components install?

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Yes, that's what I downloaded and installed.  The first project would not work before I installed it but after installing it, it worked fine.  Upon moving the dll to another project that next project would not work when calling it.
    Monday, October 8, 2007 12:28 PM
  • What dll are you referring to? If you're referring to the OLEDB provider you don't move it around. You just install the package and that's all you need to do.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:41 PM
  •  

I'm talking about the dll that calls the oledb provider.  No, I'm not moving the oledb provider anywhere.  It's just installed once on my machine.  It's the dll that calls it that works in the original project but when used in another project, it doesn't.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:29 PM
  • OK, so all the work is on your local machine and you're just try to use the DLL (which uses the Data Connectivity Components) in other projects, is this correct?

Were the Data Connectivity Components installed using an Administrator account?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Yes to both questions.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Are you using the same authentication level for each of your web applications? Which one or ones are you using?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Both use windows authentication.  The identity that the original program runs under that uses the ace.oledb data provider is the local identity.  But, the web site that uses the dll runs under another identity that we use on all of our sites.  Would different identities cause the dll to not be able to use the provider? 

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Yes, it's possible that account under which the web app/component executes does not sufficient permissions to the data access components. I don't really know what identities you are using to run your web applications but it's something I would look into.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:54 AM