none
Normalizing a query results RRS feed

• Question

• I created a typed dataset to hold the results of a query. Unfortunately, the DB (which I have only read permissions), isn't normailzed, and I want to normalize when filling the dataset. The sql query will return the following results:

Code Snippet

Name |  Email   | Car

Joe  |  j@a.com | Honda

Joe  |  j@a.com | Toyota

Joe  |  j@a.com | Acura

Carl |  c@c.com | Honda

Carl |  c@c.com | Toyota

Carl |  c@c.com | Acura

In this example, I would have two DataTables:

Code Snippet

Contact

Name | Email

Car

Name | Car

My first guess is maybe doing attaching TableMappings to the DataAdapter, but I'm not sure how that works. Is there a way to do this with one query and one dataadapter?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:39 AM

Answers

• isn't normailzed

What do you mean by not normalized? Could you explain? how can you "normalize" string values? You can normalize two arrays of numeric values in such a way that a common denominator is applied. In doing so at least one member will be identical in both arrays. Normalization means that a "Norm" exists. What is your norm?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:37 AM
  • As AlexBB already mentionned, "normalization" is probably not the issue here...

The OP could investigate on the UNIQUE operator...

SELECT UNIQUE col1, col2 FROM table;
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:16 AM

All replies

• isn't normailzed

What do you mean by not normalized? Could you explain? how can you "normalize" string values? You can normalize two arrays of numeric values in such a way that a common denominator is applied. In doing so at least one member will be identical in both arrays. Normalization means that a "Norm" exists. What is your norm?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:37 AM
  • As AlexBB already mentionned, "normalization" is probably not the issue here...

The OP could investigate on the UNIQUE operator...

SELECT UNIQUE col1, col2 FROM table;
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:16 AM