SCCM Deployment (Silent install and EULA) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement to deploy the Kinect SDK to our student computer fleet via SCCM. However it seems that Microsoft have decided to not permit this by not making their installer able to run silently, and including the line "only when installed using the accompanying software installer package" in the EULA thereby preventing us from repackaging it.

Can someone confirm that I'm reading this correctly and, despite being able to extract the MSIs from the installer, we are not permitted to use them silently in order to mass deploy the software?

Also, if possible, can someone explain why this decision was made to force people to agree to the EULA on install despite the fact that the EULA also states that "By downloading, installing, accessing, or using the software, you accept all terms in this agreement" so that in fact just by accessing or using the SDK you agree to it anyway! We can't be the only organisation which has a demand for a large number of computers to have the SDK, and we don't have the time or resources to manually install it on each and every machine.

Thanks.

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:02 AM

Answers

• Just to let you know, I have had a response from Michael Fry (Business Development, Strategic Alliances, Kinect for Windows, Microsoft), which reads:

"The current version of the Kinect for Windows SDK does not support silent installation, either technically or from a licensing perspective.  This is a feature that we are considering for a future release, but there is no commitment for implementation."

So, rather disappointingly, the only option is to run the installer attended on each and every computer.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have a requirement to deploy the Kinect SDK to our student computer fleet via SCCM. However it seems that Microsoft have decided to not permit this by not making their installer able to run silently, and including the line "only when installed using the accompanying software installer package" in the EULA thereby preventing us from repackaging it.

Can someone confirm that I'm reading this correctly and, despite being able to extract the MSIs from the installer, we are not permitted to use them silently in order to mass deploy the software?

Also, if possible, can someone explain why this decision was made to force people to agree to the EULA on install despite the fact that the EULA also states that "By downloading, installing, accessing, or using the software, you accept all terms in this agreement" so that in fact just by accessing or using the SDK you agree to it anyway! We can't be the only organisation which has a demand for a large number of computers to have the SDK, and we don't have the time or resources to manually install it on each and every machine.

Thanks.

Iam interested in silent deployment or update options too as Iam using the kinect sdk with reconstructme program at our high school district. So I definitely know what you mean. I feel the same way about microsoft at the moment.  I need to update kinect from a network share somewhere is this possible microsoft kinect team? (even with the runtime?). Have you tried to see if you can accept the eula automatically because some msi's or installers made with microsoft installer programs I can accept the eula automatically if its allowed.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Monday, April 15, 2013 11:58 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Just to let you know, I have had a response from Michael Fry (Business Development, Strategic Alliances, Kinect for Windows, Microsoft), which reads:

"The current version of the Kinect for Windows SDK does not support silent installation, either technically or from a licensing perspective.  This is a feature that we are considering for a future release, but there is no commitment for implementation."

So, rather disappointingly, the only option is to run the installer attended on each and every computer.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:26 AM

Thanks. :)

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:14 PM