none
Migration tool to Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need a way to create an ISO image of my old box of Windows 2003 server to move it to my new box of Windows 2008 server under Hyper-V. I would like to make the 2003 server as a virtual server on the new box.

Are there any utilities out there that will create the image on a seperate backup drive and then import it into one of the Hyper-V as a server?

Any suggestions?

Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:34 AM

All replies

• the hyper-v stuff for systems center has a migration tool included with it.  you might want to look into it.

Otherwise the way I did this was via making a backup of the physical machine, shutting it down, and restoring it onto a new 2003 VM with indentically sized hard disk to my original machine.

There's a few threads on this over in the Technet hyper-v forum, and suggestions from a few other folks as to imaging software that they've used to do this kind of thing as well.

----

As of 8/22/2008 this forum is de-comissioned, and there's pretty much nobody minding this particular MSDN forum..  all the virtualization support is over in the technet forum

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

(note the pinned message at the top of the forum that they are de-commissioning these on the 22nd  )

Further discussion of this issue should be moved to the technet virtulization forum.

Monday, November 3, 2008 10:39 PM