none
Process Infrared Data on Kinect Device or on PC? RRS feed

• Question

• I am puzzled about how the Kinect v2 works in terms of processing the infrared data.

Is it processing the people detecting and tracking on the camera device or on the PC?

As the SDK get the stream contains the body data. So I think it processes the body detection on the Kinect device and send the result to the computer, which can be extracted by the SDK 2.

Could anyone give some information about that? Many thanks!

YU Xinbo

Friday, May 8, 2015 1:17 PM

Answers

• The Kinect sensor only provides IR and color. All the data is processed in the runtime to generate clean IR, depth, and body/bodyIndex data which is why we require DX11 based GPU's since this is done on the GPU.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, May 8, 2015 6:24 PM

All replies

• The Kinect sensor only provides IR and color. All the data is processed in the runtime to generate clean IR, depth, and body/bodyIndex data which is why we require DX11 based GPU's since this is done on the GPU.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, May 8, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Thanks! I agree with you.

But are there technology could support processing the IR or color on the camera side to generate clean IR, depth, and body/bodyIndex? As someone told me that self-designed PCB can process pre-designed algorithm(code), which is cheaper than GPU...? Do you have some knowledge about that?

BTW, is adding more GPUs to the PC able to speed up the processing speed of Kinect?

YU Xinbo

Friday, May 8, 2015 11:04 PM