none
VisualStudio Kernel Debugger can't connect to Oracle VirtualBox machine over pipe RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am currently trying to get into driver development, but I'm struggling with getting the Debugger to work.

I will document here what I have already done, and back it up with screenshots wherever needed.

First off, I am running Windows 10 Home x64 as host machine and Windows 10 Home x64 as guest machine in an Oracle VirtualBox. I'm using VisualStudio Express 2015 for Windows Desktop (WDK/SDK are installed).

Since I'm using a VirtualMachine, provisioning is not supported as seen here

Therefore I tried to set up a pipe for debugging as seen here.

This is how I've set up the pipe in VirtualBox.

Here I enter the two required commands in a cmd (started as an administrator). Afterwards I restarted the VirtualMachine.

("Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet." means that the operation was successfully completed.

Since my VirtualMachine is not generation 2 and I don't have to turn of SecureBoot (since it's not supported on Windows 10 Home) I should be done on the guest side for now.

My driver is the 'HelloWorld 'one as seen here. I can successfully build it.

Now I try to attach the debugger to my machine:

And as you can see the Driver test configuration, after checking it, turns to 'Unavailable'. Therefore, when I try to attach, it shows me the following errors. 

I'm quite new at this, so maybe I did something terribly wrong.

Would be really grateful for any advice. So far I've spent about two days experimenting with this. But nothing has led to a different result. (Sorry for the German Screenshots)

Greetings

Nils

Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:34 PM

All replies

• A short answer is, use the Windbg debugger and install the driver manually. Or, find someone who can set things up at your workplace. Kernel debug experience can be a bit rough for a beginner.

(For longer explanation, see here).

-- pa

Sunday, May 21, 2017 3:08 PM