none
MAPI distribution license RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I am developing a MAPI based application. Evaluation Criteria for MAPI tells "No special licensing is required for developing applications that use MAPI." I have one doubt in my mind - if MAPI or Outlook is not installed in the user's computer, then can we distribute it with my company's software? Is there some distribution license for MAPI. If yes, then kindly provide the link. If no, then also kindly provide the link. I have searched a lot on the www but didn't get any more information about this.

Thanks & regards,

Talib Hussain

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Talib,

I'd recommend to add a prerequisite to the installer of your software and download it from Microsoft's web site if required. You can download Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1  separately. In that case you will not break the law. However, I have never seen a license for the MAPI subsystem. It is a COM based API for Windows.

Finally, I'd recommend asking licensing questions in the Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum instead.

• Marked as answer by talib2608 Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:52 AM
  • What are you trying to do with the MAPI?

If you want to use the library to access and work with server-side Exchange you'd be better off using Exchange Web services. If you want to work with Outlook then obviously Outlook must be installed on the client machine, as Outlook can't be automated from a remote machine or a service.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Thanks Eugene for your answer. Answer in this post was also helpful: Distribute a MAPI-based application? I got this after posting my question. Also, the link pointed by you is very old. This is the new one: Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 March 2014 Update.
    • Edited by talib2608 Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by talib2608 Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:14 AM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:08 AM
  • Hi Ken,

I am developing an application to tell the attachment(s) in an email. I have developed this using MAPI. In cases where Outlook is not installed, could we distribute Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 March 2014 Update was my question.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:13 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

That's exactly what I suggested. Include the link to the installer of your software (don't include the installer itself). On the end user machine you can ask the a who runs the installer download and install the MAPI subsystem.  

• Marked as answer by talib2608 Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:21 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:02 AM
  • You can't distribute that, no. You can link to it for installation from the MS URL.

On the machine where you install the server side MAPI you'd have to directly talk to the Exchange server to do anything. If there isn't any Outlook on that machine you couldn't talk to Outlook obviously, as Outlook can only be automated locally.

If you're going to talk directly to the Exchange server you're better off using EWS, as I mentioned. Recent versions of Exchange do not support MAPI calls, and MAPI is now owned by the Outlook team as the Exchange team won't support it going forward.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

• Marked as answer by talib2608 Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:49 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Last point of Announcing MAPI/CDO Download - SGriffin's MAPI Internals - Site Home - MSDN Blogs also gives the answer. I got it today. Thanks everybody for your help and time.
    • Marked as answer by talib2608 Friday, August 1, 2014 5:19 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 5:18 PM