importing clip art RRS feed

• Question

• I use expression design to make labels, and sometimes want to add a clip art. I go to the microsoft clipart gallery and download, it goes into microsoft clip organizer.  Then, when I open Pictures, Microsoft clip organizer only shows as a folder, without the subfolders, and I can't find the clipart that I just put there.  I've tried cut and paste, all kinds of things.  Design is running on Vista, if that makes a difference.  I can copy a clipart, but when I try to paste it in design, i get a Clipart can't be pasted or some other such error.  There must be a trick to it. 
    Anyone know what the trick might be?

"failed to paste the content of the clipboard" is one of the exact errors I get. No explanation of why it can't paste, just that it didn't
    thanks!!
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:33 AM

All replies

• Hello - I'm not on a computer that has ED immediately accessible so I have not had a chance to check this out, here goes...

(assuming ED is open with your design onscreen)

1 - copy the clip art 

2 - start a new design (Ctrl+N)

3 - the new canvas/work space might not be the default size 

4 - Paste

Some applications seem to create a new document from whatever is in memory and it can be helpful but like I said, I have not checked it out in ED - let's know how it goes.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:04 PM
  • You're probably trying to paste in a file format that Design doesn't recognize. Many of the clip art files are in .wmf format. I can only suggest that you use a third-party program to change the file format that Design will accept.  Do you have a screen capture program? They usually support many file formats. I'm using Hypersnap it works well for me.

Welcome to the Expression Design forum!
    Annie
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Snipping tool (or Snippy - I forget which B-) )
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:11 PM
  • The trouble with "paste" from the clip gallery is it usually rasterizes the image and you lose its "vector" definition, so it cannot be resized without losing resolution.

There is a procedure described in a Silverlight book I have at home where you can insert a WMF vector image into a Word document, save it as XPS format which is XML based and mostly XAML compliant. You can then copy paste the XAML into a XAML canvas and import into Design.

I will try to find the steps, reproduce and post my experience.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I can't believe it, there used to be a beta product called "Microsoft Expression Graphic Designer" which natively opened WMF files and allowed you to save to XAML.

http://blogs.msdn.com/wpfsdk/archive/2006/05/17/converting-wmf-images-to-xaml-using-graphic-designer.aspx

I guess when they bought Creature House ED, this product was scrapped and the feature was LOST!. NO!!!

Ill keep looking on how to get vector WMF into MSED2.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Okay, I figured out how to get WMF clipart into blend as paths so you can manipulate there, but since Design does not seem to have a XAML import, I cannot get it into ED2.

- Open MS Word 2007 (may work on earlier versions if they support XPS format).
    - Go to clipart gallery and insert wmf or just open the WMF from disk if you got it elsewhere
    - Insert the clipart as the only item on the page
    - Save the document as a XPS file (mydoc.xps)

XPS format is a XAML based format but the XPS file is actually a ZIP format file that contains multiple xml files.

- So rename the file to mydoc.zip
    - Now open in a unzip program, you will see several files and folders (_rels, docProps, Documents, Resources):
    - Go into the Documents folder, then the "1" folder,  then the "Pages" folder.
    - Here you should see 1.fpage which is a XAML text document
    - In my test what you copied to your blend XAML document was one of the inner Canvas elements. When pasting into Blend, you may just have to remove some of the outer wrapper Canvases to narrow down to just the vector image paths.

I am going to make a post in the Blend forum as well.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:24 PM
  • A WMF in PP2007 can be deconstructed in PP 2007 (make repeated use of select all > ungroup)

(see 090609 21.JPG )

but making use of that feature is a bit tricky.

Even pasting into ED returns a rasterised variant so something is happening with the clipboard for sure.

If components are selected in PP2007 > copied > then pasted into ED well, it appears as a bitmap (methinks someone has gone to a lot of trouble to make it so).

PP2007 has some interesting export (that is: save as) options but I have not tried them.

(?bring back harvard graphics? :-) )
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:50 PM
  • dwlovell,

Once you get the WMF clipart into Blend can't you select the paths again and paste them into Design?

Ya, know, as long as people have been asking for WPF import in Design I'm suprized it isn't in there by now.
    Annie
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:25 PM
  • When you go to microsoft site and click on the button which says "Click to copy this item to clipboard".
    then paste (Ctrl+V) it to any folder (in my case desktop) on your pc and go to the File-->Import or press (Ctrl+I) select the image which i  pasted on the desktop, Image will appear in the expression design

Vikrant
    vikrant
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Vikrant gupta,

Are you saying that you were able to image wmp files using your method? I wasn't able to make it work that way with wmf files.
    Annie
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Thanks to everyone for trying to answer my question...
    But, I was hoping there might be aneasier way...
    they're all microsoft programs, after all...
    I would have hoped to have a little more compatibliity between programs...
    I'll keep checking back.
    thanks again everyone!
    Nancy
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:47 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Fred C_ Friday, June 26, 2009 2:03 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Annie Ford,

Sorry for the late reply,
    i was also not able to import wmf files.
    other formats like JPEG,PNG,GIF ,TIFF,BMP,WDP can be imported.
    even changing the extension to the above formats doesnt help with the wmf files.
    vikrant
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:13 AM