2008 R2 Upgrade Advisor from command prompt fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've run the 2008 R2 Upgrade Advisor (from the GUI) successfully, finding several upgrade issues in a run which takes around 20 minutes. When I run the command prompt version of the tool, using the config file created by the GUI run, it returns immediately with no error message and having created no report. Here's the command:

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Upgrade Advisor\UpgradeAdvisorWizardCmd.exe" -ConfigFile "C:\Documents and Settings\MyLogin\My Documents\SQLServer 2008 R2 Upgrade Advisor Reports\MyServer\Config.xml"

Why is the command doing nothing? I need this to automate my pre-upgrade analysis work.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:58 PM

Answers

• Hi CityCJ,

This issue might be caused by the instance is missing in the Config.xml file by default.

In order to solve this issue, please specify the instance name in the Config.xml file with the following format:

<Instance>MSSQLSERVER</Instance>

If you are using named instance, please substitute MSSQLSERVER in the above with the actual instance name.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    • Proposed as answer by Alberto MorilloMVP Monday, November 29, 2010 3:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by CityCJ Monday, November 29, 2010 11:19 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi CityCJ,

Have you solved this issue?

I am looking into this issue and I will provide you an update as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hi CityCJ,

This issue might be caused by the instance is missing in the Config.xml file by default.

In order to solve this issue, please specify the instance name in the Config.xml file with the following format:

<Instance>MSSQLSERVER</Instance>

If you are using named instance, please substitute MSSQLSERVER in the above with the actual instance name.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    • Proposed as answer by Alberto MorilloMVP Monday, November 29, 2010 3:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by CityCJ Monday, November 29, 2010 11:19 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Adding <Instance>MSSQLSERVER</Instance> for the default instance works fine. Also, using the actual instance name on a named instance works fine. (I tested both cases on SQL Server 2005).

Thanks for your help.

Monday, November 29, 2010 11:23 AM