locked
Unable to build project output group 'Content Files from ThisProjectName (Active) RRS feed

  • Question

  • User962499453 posted
    When I try to build an application for web deployment I get an error; Unable to build project output group 'Content Files from ProjectNET (Active). The error is prefixed by; C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\VSWebCache\MAINCOMP002\ProjectNET\ProjectNetDeploy\ProjectNetDeploy.vdproj Any ideas. The project builds OK by itself withoug using the "Web Setup Project" Template
    Tuesday, December 23, 2003 1:50 AM

All replies

  • User783381675 posted
    I had the same problem when I try to compile my setup project. From what I found out the problem is rising when you ask the setup Project to be deployed as Release and the web project is compile in debug mode All you have to do is make sure they share the same build instruction, first compile Your web project and then compile your web setup project Good luck
    Tuesday, December 23, 2003 6:25 AM
  • User962499453 posted
    I very carefully setup the bulid configuration for the project as Project: ProjectName Configuration: Release Platform: .NET Build: checked and for the deployment project as: Project: DeployProjectName Configuration: Release Platform: Build: checked Unfortunately I still have the same problem. If I go ahead and install it anyway (with the errors) the only files that get generated are the dll's in the bin directory. Thanks for your suggestion anyway
    Tuesday, December 23, 2003 5:45 PM
  • User783381675 posted
    Did you add some file from out side the visual studio environment? I think the problem is some how connected to the Included file list of your Project or at least to those front page extension handles for you. So if you delete Or add file working directly with your project folder the project is not aware so the “ProjectName.csproj” file is not up to date.
    Monday, December 29, 2003 12:14 PM
  • User679535010 posted

    Check the web project for missing references. I'm currently having a problem where I get this error only when I do a "Rebuild" of my setup project, and not when I choose "Build" - also, when running setup project from the command line (using DevEnv.exe /Build) I get the same error.

    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:58 AM
  • User-381545481 posted

    Check the web project for missing references. I'm currently having a problem where I get this error only when I do a "Rebuild" of my setup project, and not when I choose "Build" - also, when running setup project from the command line (using DevEnv.exe /Build) I get the same error.


    Hey Pedro... just got the same error and it turned out I had a reference to a file in my main project that has been removed... RClick on the file -> "Exclude From Project" fixed the issue

    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:27 PM
  • User679535010 posted

    I now know how this problem happens, but I have no idea how to fix it!!

    The ASP.NET project has an internal list of content files, in my project I use Log4Net.dll, Castle.Core.dll and a few others - these seem to create an xml file when buil - and this xml file is gona gain when the setup project attempts to grab hold of the content files and then fails.

    So looking at my bin folder for the Asp.Net folder, I Can see that the xml files are placed there, and I know from experiments that the xml files orignate from teh dlls during build, why I dont know, but what is worse is I can't seem to turn that off.


    If anyone knows how to turn off the generation of the log4net.xml file and others (castle.core, etc) please advice, this would solve my problem. Until then, it's not possible to build an Asp.Net project that uses log4net.

    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:50 AM
  • User1076613764 posted

    I found this article usefull for my case:


    http://roodev.com/post/Web-setup-project-build-error-Unable-to-build-project-output-group-Content-Files-from-MySetupProject-%28Active%29.aspx

    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:32 AM
  • User-593575503 posted

    Hi,


    I had the same problem, in my case I was missing a DLL and the settings file ('Settings.cs'). After include them works fine. Make sure that is not your problem.

    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:56 AM