Can't sign-in on Windows 8?

Question

• I've installed the Developer Preview succesfully on my old PC, but after I unlock the screen, it asks for username and password. I used my Windows Live ID in the installation, but that doesn't work. It's disconcerting that it asks for username and password when I didn't register none of that.

In short, what do I have to enter in the login screen in my first logon?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Depending on the install method you used it may have kept your accounts, files and settings.  Try using the username and password from the previous Windows installation where you started Developer Preview setup.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

In the case that you accidentally closed out OOBE (Out Of Box Experience -- this is the initial setup you referred to) before creating a user account, unfortunately there is no way to recover and a reinstall is necessary.  In this case a reinstall is really the only option.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Depending on the install method you used it may have kept your accounts, files and settings.  Try using the username and password from the previous Windows installation where you started Developer Preview setup.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Chaosprower wrote:

I've installed the Developer Preview succesfully on my old PC, but after I unlock the screen, it asks for username and password. I used my Windows Live ID in the installation, but that doesn't work. It's disconcerting that it asks for username and password when I didn't register none of that.

In short, what do I have to enter in the login screen in my first logon?

Check your email inbox for a Windows Live email stating:
    It looks like you added a trusted PC to your Windows Live account

Tony

Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
    For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files   updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM
  • It could also be because the password box is limited to a smaller number of characters (around 12?) even though you can use a far longer password via live.com.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

Hope this helps,

Richard

I booted from the DVD drive, formatted, and made a clean install (It was an old PC,  my important files are on my newer one) so I don't think my old user info would work.

And while in the initial setup my Windows Live account was synced succesfully, I didn't recieve the confirmation email @Tony Toews mentioned.

I spent all afternoon trying all sort of different combinations I thought of and no luck. Maybe I'll reinstall it again choosing not to sync my Windows Live account initially, to see if I can get past the logon screen.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:51 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. I accidentally pressed [esc] which closed the initial set-up before it got to the stage of creating a user account. I did a fresh install so there is no personalised login information in the system and it wont let me login using Administrator or Guest as it says those accounts have been disabled. Nor will it let my login using my Windows Live ID. It also seems that the only way to enter a command line environment or safe mode is from within Windows.

I installed the developer preview from within an existing Windows installation on a computer without a disc drive so a reinstall is going to be quite difficult. Any help re: default login information and/or an alternative means of accessing safe mode or a command line environment would be much appreciated. 

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

In the case that you accidentally closed out OOBE (Out Of Box Experience -- this is the initial setup you referred to) before creating a user account, unfortunately there is no way to recover and a reinstall is necessary.  In this case a reinstall is really the only option.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:06 PM
  • my screen is locked may i ask how u unlock ur if u can help me please
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hey Ikidunot,

With reference to your previous thread, you will need to reinstall Windows Developer Preview so that you can start with a fresh copy that will allow you to create a new user account. If you are still receiving the 0x000021a error when you try to installing Windows Developer Preview, try downloading a new copy of the .ISO for Windows Developer Preview using the link below:
    Windows Developer Preview downloads

Then burn the new .ISO to a DVD and use the new DVD to try to install Windows Developer Preview. If that doesn't work, please create a new question using the link below so that we can troubleshoot this problem further.
    Start a New Question or Discussion

Steven
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:33 PM
  • thank u
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:14 PM