Testing during a Sprint RRS feed

• Question

• Our Sprints are two weeks long - we have System Testing / QA happening at the end of the Sprint and there are tasks in TFS under each Product Backlog Item for these testing activities.

The question I have is that my developers have no tasks assigned to them (as they are awaiting on System Testing to complete for a few days) and as a result TFS shows that they are "free" to assign work too. How do you handle this?

CG

Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi CG,

Thanks for your post.

>>TFS shows that they are "free" to assign work too. How do you handle this?

As far as I know, you can disable the permission of the “Eidt work items in this node” in Areas

Then if this user assign the task, this error message will appear:

Note: If you disable this permission. This user will also can’t edit all work items include modify and new.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, June 20, 2016 8:57 AM
  • I am bit curious and concern about, "developers are free for couple of days" statement. If you are practicing Agile/Scrum, this shouldn't be the case. Before fixing this in the tool, I strongly suggest you consider the following as well.
    1. When you plan for the sprint, you should always have few work items "uncommitted" on the sprint backlog together with the committed work items. This way your developers will not run out of work, because while they are waiting for committed work items to be tested, they can start work on uncommitted work. This work you never expose, because if you and the team manage to complete any uncommitted work, that will be bonus.This is to keep the team busy.

2. Do you have a bug backlog? If so, you can have some of the bugs included in the sprint, so that once the developers submit their committed work, they can start working on the bugs. Again this will help you to increase the stability and the robustness of your software.

3. The important thing is the automation. That is, if you are running agile, and you want your team to be super busy, automate as much as possible. Automate your releases and tests. If all your tests are automated, the test automation will reveal the bugs quickly and the developers don't have to wait for days until the test results comes out. They can quickly fix them.

Thanks

Sanjaya Yapa

Sanjaya Yapa

Monday, June 20, 2016 1:19 PM