none
Azure File Sync - Tiering and Thumbnails RRS feed

• Question

• We've moved most of our file shares to using Azure File Shares using the Sync tool but have run into an issue with image thumbnails.

Before the move all thumbnails displayed correctly, but now any files that have been tiered and are Online only aren't displaying thumbnails when viewed over the network. 

If I log onto the server running the sync tool directly and browse the folder structure the online files will display a thumbnail, but I'm guessing this is just a hold over from the pre-tiering thumbnail storage, as if I link the file share to a different server I can't see any thumbnails.

This is causing massive issues for our marketing people as they can't easily find the files they're looking for and turning off tiering will remove most of the advantages of the solution as old image files are one of the things consuming most of the storage.

Is there anyway to force the generation of thumbnails for online only files such that they're visible for all users of the share?

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:10 AM

All replies

• Please have a look at the "Skipped files" section here. They state ethumbs.db$ for which they probably also mean the hidden thumbs.db. Since these exclusions are hardcoded I don't think it's possible

To my opinion there is no way to generate the thumbnails yourself. Best way to get this to their attention is via general feedback supplying the use case here.

• Proposed as answer by Gijs Kerstens Monday, October 21, 2019 1:06 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Thanks. I've just raised it as an idea as suggested. 
    Monday, October 21, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Hi Gijs,

I've just checked and the thumbs.db has been tiered and isn't recalling which may be the cause of the issue. 

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:50 PM
  • Actually, it's stranger than that. The thumbs.db is showing as Online only, but isn't actually present in the directory I'm checking when I look in the Share via the Azure Portal. It could be that the portal isn't showing system files, but it's also not present on the second server I've connected to the share.

So it looks like thumbs.db was tiered and has now vanished leaving only the reference behind. It's not present in Recovery Services Vault backups of the share either.

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:00 PM
  • @Kardrath  There is a similar thread discussion in MSDN
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:18 AM