Installing SQL Express 2017 quietly (without extraction) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an installer for our product, which is run from a DVD (yes we still distribute them !) and currently installs SQL Express 2014 for our users without them needing to do anything i.e. we supply all of the line arguments to the installer.

Now in the past (for SQL 2014 express and previous versions) we run an exe called SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe and supply the line arguments to it and all is well.  But for SQL 2017 Express, I can't find an exe with the same name and the only one I can find is called en_sql_server_2017_express_x64_11301593.exe.  When you run this one, with the line arguments - it extracts the files into a folder of the same name in the same location as the exe but then doesn't continue with the installation.

I know I could run the extracted setup.exe with the line arguments; but one problem is, is because we run from a DVD it couldn't possibly extract the files, as the DVD is obviously not writable.

So two questions :

1) Ideally we'd like to get hold of a file (SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe or similar) that would work like it did for previous versions - where it wouldn't need to extract files or if it did, it would be to somewhere writable and would do this in the background as before and then it would do the installs based on our line arguments.

2) if 1 above is not available - does anyone know how to run the en_sql_server_2017_express_x64_11301593.exe file and for us to tell it via line arguments where to extract the files to - so I'm thinking I'd have to do that, then run the setup.exe with our arguments.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 11:55 AM

Answers

• Sods law ... as soon as I sent off this question; I found the answer myself ... but hopefully it may help others in the same boat !?

Basically I went back to the downloads page on MSDN and clicked the info link and it told me that I could download an exe called SQLServer2017-SSEI-Expr.exe (new SQL installer for SQL Server 2017 Express) and running that it gives you the option to download the media and low and behold the thing it downloaded was called SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe which is exactly what I was looking for !!

• Marked as answer by Tall Tyke Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:47 PM